Good enough deer fence !!!

/ Good enough deer fence !!! #1  

JC-jetro

Elite Member
Tractor
Ford 1700, Kubota MX-4700
Well, Them darned deer did a number on my crops last year. They even developed a taste for my tomatoes. Out of desperation I devised me a fence design to get the darned critters out of my hair. Although during the deer season I get my revenge but not before they inflict much pain first:(. I have a garden plot on my so called farm. I don't live there so the deer have all the time in the world and then some to help themselves to my crop. I will not even bring coons, possums and everything else that like my garden in the equation . My prime enemy here is the deer. I have a 5 strand fence to keep the cows out, I'm glad they can jump much:D. any how, I extended 3 extra feet to my fence by using bunch of 5 foot rebars I had. I used beam clamps to keep the rebar firmly attached to the tee post. I then added 3 strands of electrical fence wire to make effectively an eight foot tall 8 stands fence. I then made bunch of dangly chimes using scrap pieces of sheet metal to move in the wind and make a bit of noise to alert the deer of their presence.

I don't reckon they are stupid enough to attempt jumping over.. what do you think?

JC,

dsc09066d.jpg

dsc090431.jpg

dsc09067.jpg

dsc09070.jpg

/ Good enough deer fence !!! #2  
What do we think? Better, what do the deer think. :D
It looks like a lot of extra work, but should do the trick.

But I would just go to the farmers market and get what I need, and let the cows have that patch. :) :) .. save time and money :D

/ Good enough deer fence !!! #3  
I have some "deer fence" around my cherry orchard. One strip of white horse electric fence (couple inches wide and white) at about three feet tall. Then another strip of the same as high as I can make it with steel fence posts. They are place about 3 feet apart and present an interesting visual and physical barrier to the deer.

From what I have read, the deer see either fence as jumpable, but the distance between it makes the deer stay away. Last year it worked without electricity, but I'm planning to electrify it this year.

After looking at your photos, my is less work, but I think yours make do the job better.

Those deer are pesky around here as well.

/ Good enough deer fence !!! #4  
I have seen deer jump 12 foot chain link fences to get to nice greenery beside a conveyor belt. I think you may have solved the deer problem but at my place deer are a distant third or fourth in the pest line-up to racoons, groundhog and rabbits! Last year the racooons broke every cornstock just after the ears began to grow. Fences work OK but sudden onset lead poisoning has been far more consistent for me:thumbsup:

/ Good enough deer fence !!! #5  
From what I seen the fence tilted out 45 degrees will prevent all the deer from coming in - if I were you I would apply for damage permit and hunt for venison all yea long.

/ Good enough deer fence !!! #6  
That fence will work.

/ Good enough deer fence !!! #7  
There one in every crowd gong to try it..may want to check fence often for tangle deer.

/ Good enough deer fence !!! #8  
I dont think it will work. I seen deer jump a 7 ft fence. I had one set at 5 ft, they still got in from jumping, I give up with fence and plant other stuff deer dont like.

/ Good enough deer fence !!! #9  
I've seen small deer flatten out and jump through the strands of barbed wire.

/ Good enough deer fence !!! #10  
Your fence is similar to what I read about (and will be installing pretty soon) in a homesteading magazine: Countryside Sept/Oct 2009 pg. 45.

Deer can jump pretty high, but they have to be comfortable with the landing to jump. I like Czech's idea of the angle out also.