apple tree

/ apple tree #1  

stevess

Silver Member
had to remove an apple tree from the front yard. was getting too ugly for the wife so i reluctantly cut it up. realizing my mistake i'm trying to reuse the scions and root. i've planted the root and grafted some sions on the stump. i also took some scions and put them in the refrigerator. am i wasting my time by trying these things after the buds were flowering. is there anything i can salvage from this? it was a triple red corland that produced wonderful apples at times. thanks for any info
steve
bx25

/ apple tree #2  
Just play the music soft and slow.....

Head to the nursery and plant a new tree, would be my best advice. If the grafts work, great. If not, put your time in on the new tree.

How ugly was it? A well pruned apple tree is not a thing of beauty for sure. :)

/ apple tree
i thought it looked fine but the wife hated it. she caught me at a weak moment and now i'm upset. no apple pie for me!
steve

/ apple tree #4  
Just play the music soft and slow.....

Sorry to heat that steve, but beenthere is probably right. Stranger things have happened, but unless you can match up the cambium layers I'd bet you'd be most likely to have the root stock sprout.

/ apple tree
well i'll have to find another and put it in the back. anyone have any suggestions on an heirloom apple tree company?
steve
bx25

/ apple tree #6  
Steve,
there is another post with a number of good sources listed, depends a bit on where you are. I am up north, and like to get locally growth stock, so I use St Lawrence nurseries. Do a search in this forum and you find some other recommendations.
Good Luck,

/ apple tree
thanks marty i'll take a look. i'm in massachusetts
steve
bx25

/ apple tree #8  
Go to a garden center, get a cheap apple tree and try grafting onto some of its branches. Should cost less than $20.00.

I go to the garden centers of big discount stores, home centers, etc... and find damaged trees. I ask for a discount and usually get it. Then I take a few years to nurse the things back to health. :)

/ apple tree
good idea, that will keep me busy. i hadn't thought of that. appreciated
steve
bx25

/ apple tree #10  
I've had good luck with apples from local hardware, big box, WalMart, Miller's Nurseries, Stark Bros, Vintage Virginia Apples and Burnt Ridge Nurseries. Given my lack of experience when I started planting apple trees I have concluded that apples are pretty easy here in mid Missouri....at least they don't die on me like sweet cherries. For neat heirloom varieties, Vintage Virginia is really good, and not all that much more expensive if you are only getting one to a few apples. Millers is closer to you and has a decent reputation and fair variety of apples. Remember that many apples really need another variety close by for pollination, though crab apples seem to be pretty good pollinators for most.

Chuck