Band Dehorning

/ Band Dehorning
Greetings, Most people who band dehorn report little or no bleeding. This did bleed enough that my wife put the powder on to stop it, but in no way compares to having them cut off by a vet! When our girls said she was bleeding I expected to see it running down her neck. This doe seems not to notice one horn is gone.
Heyali, this doe, was a rescue and was sold to us as the first to call was going to have her with refried beans. Living with us she will give milk, from which we will make Feta Cheese. Photo coming.
By the way the girls got their first egg today from the chickens they have had from day old.

Richard

/ Band Dehorning
Here are some photos for your perusal. The tip of her ear was taken by a dog.
But she is in good hands now and she knows it.

make that 2 eggs!

Attachments

• HAYALEEEGG 004.JPG
    HAYALEEEGG 004.JPG
    44 KB · Views: 158
  • HAYALEEEGG 011.JPG
    HAYALEEEGG 011.JPG
    20.3 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:
   / Band Dehorning #53  
beenthere said:
Why do you say that?

Valley
Any pics...? We like pics. :)

In our opinions it's a cruel and unnecessary procedure. We had it done because by definition all Pygoras are supposed to be dehorned. I say to heck with the breeders association. Plus there's the $300 price tag per goat. Nature made them with horns so they should have horns . IMO if you want hornless animals then go find a hornless breed.

Granted this is all being said by a person in a family that has not had a bad experience YET with a horned animal. :)7

Attachments

• image-4235623737.png
    image-4235623737.png
    868.6 KB · Views: 158
   / Band Dehorning #54  
Oh.
I don't see anything cruel about removing horns. No different than bobbing tails or castrating animals.
Or for humans going through surgeries, etc.
But don't see anything wrong with your thoughts on leaving horns on animals.

/ Band Dehorning
The other horn hasn't sluffed yet. This girl likes to use her horns, she may have lost the first trying to slam one of the other goats.

He designed them with horns but HE gave me dominion over them.

Richard

Last edited:
   / Band Dehorning
Greetings, The doe lost her other horn today. There was less bleeding this horn, but enough that the girls used blood stop. Glad this is done! She, the doe, would try to hook the other does, she cut the utter on one of the other does a while back.

There is still no sign with the buck. The lady that I got this information from said on a buck this size it would take about 6 months. I'm giving up on the buck, he does damage to the fence and barn, he has to go.

Well, it does work I would use this method again if needed on a doe or young buck.

Richard

/ Band Dehorning
Here are pictures of the doe, she has shown no ill effects from the dehorning. Thanks for your intrest.

Richard

The girls milk her daily her milk is up. The buck kid behing her is her kid who we sold for a 4H project. They have asked how to dehorn him, he can't have horns for their little girl's project.

Richard

Attachments

• YERAZELSPICS 019a.JPG
    YERAZELSPICS 019a.JPG
    37.2 KB · Views: 162
  • hyalee.JPG
    hyalee.JPG
    18.3 KB · Views: 148
   / Band Dehorning #58  
She certainly looks to be in good shape, and a job well done.