Band Dehorning

/ Band Dehorning #1  

valley

Platinum Member
Tractor
Michigan 55A, Foton 254
Have you done any band dehorning? We always dehorned when the animal is young. But! We recently acquired a buck. We had to rope him because he was never handled, didn't even have a name. He will eat from our hand now but we haven't petted or washed him yet. Wife wants him dehorned. I have seen pictures of band dehorning and read a bit. If you have done this yourself I'd like to get a few pointers. Sure wish I could give him a sedative,it would be easier to clip the hair round the horn and roll on the band if he were at rest.

Attachments

• bahag3a.JPG
    bahag3a.JPG
    24.8 KB · Views: 555
Last edited:
   / Band Dehorning #2  
Have you done any band dehorning? We always dehorning when the animal is young. But! We recently acquired a buck. We had to rope him because he was never handled didn't even have a name. He will eat from our hand now but we haven't petted or washed him yet. Wife wants him dehorned. I have seen pictures of band dehorning and read a bit. If you have done this yourself I'ed like to get a few pointers. Sure wish I could give him a sedative,it would be easer to clip the hair round the horn and roll on the band if he were at rest.

I had a Vet come out one time and dehorn one of our cows...It was awful...it made me sick ..there was blood pouring out of the stubs of the horns...never again. and the vet who is still is business said he would never do another one...You should have heard the cow beller...it was awful..I don't know if banding is any better but do be sure to check it out. Much pain involved..

/ Band Dehorning #3  
Can you band horns that size? Never used banding on horns but have for castrating calves. Seemed to work well also.

Roy

/ Band Dehorning
I have seen pictures. The bands are "castrating band". In about one month the horn sluffs off. I have never done it or seen it in person. I would like to be in contact with a first hander when I do it.
If I can figure out how I'll post a Picture.

Last edited:
   / Band Dehorning #5  
I had a Vet come out one time and dehorn one of our cows...It was awful...it made me sick ..there was blood pouring out of the stubs of the horns...never again. and the vet who is still is business said he would never do another one...You should have heard the cow beller...it was awful..I don't know if banding is any better but do be sure to check it out. Much pain involved..

That is exactly the reason people are using the bands now.

Apparently the horn dies and heals through under the horn, which falls off after a month or two.

No blood, and no pain, just some discomfort/annoyance. I've never done it first hand though, only been told about it.

I am considering doing it though as we have one calf that missed getting dehorned last year and now is too old, and another that has 1 horn growing as the dehorning scoop took too small a ring when it was done (not by us, we bought her as a 2 year old heifer)

/ Band Dehorning
As you have read we have a buck maybe 2 years old we are wanting to do.
There is some blood if the horn is knocked off too soon and it is usually planned when fly season is over, unless you can keep a close watch. Please keep in touch so we can combine what we learn.
You are going into winter there in Queensland good time to do it.

Last edited:
   / Band Dehorning #7  
That is exactly the reason people are using the bands now.

Apparently the horn dies and heals through under the horn, which falls off after a month or two.

No blood, and no pain, just some discomfort/annoyance. I've never done it first hand though, only been told about it.

I am considering doing it though as we have one calf that missed getting dehorned last year and now is too old, and another that has 1 horn growing as the dehorning scoop took too small a ring when it was done (not by us, we bought her as a 2 year old heifer)

When I had our two and three year old heiffers dehorned it wasn't any big deal. Very little blood if done right. Flies are deffinately an issue though as with cows the sinus cavity will be open until it heals over. Avoid the rainy season and top feeders too. Our vet grew up catching and dehorning cattle on the range. He makes it look easy. I do it with a burner on calves at 1-2 days old. Now that I'm getting out of the Dexters and into Highlands though, no more dehorning.

Never heard of banding horns.

/ Band Dehorning #8  
Can you band horns that size? Never used banding on horns but have for castrating calves. Seemed to work well also.

Roy

Roy it does sound like it would work better on the bottom side vs. the top side does it not.

As to the Vet post I saw the same thing when I was like 5 years old. That was a bloody mess with it flying everywhere.

/ Band Dehorning
I,ve seen pictures of horn being sawed off then carterized. I don't want to do that or have it done that way. The sinus will be open on goats too. I don't look forward to it but it seems the only avenue open. I'll have to order a band spreader and bands. Maybe I'll do that now, we are in the middle of a snow storm at this moment, so I'm inside feeding the wood stove.