Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
    Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Michigan 55A, Foton 254

Default Band Dehorning

Have you done any band dehorning? We always dehorned when the animal is young. But! We recently acquired a buck. We had to rope him because he was never handled, didn't even have a name. He will eat from our hand now but we haven't petted or washed him yet. Wife wants him dehorned. I have seen pictures of band dehorning and read a bit. If you have done this yourself I'd like to get a few pointers. Sure wish I could give him a sedative,it would be easier to clip the hair round the horn and roll on the band if he were at rest.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -bahag3a-jpg  
    Last edited by valley; 04-27-2010 at 11:44 PM.

Georgia - Mt. Vernon by The Store just 5 miles east and right by the big oak tree then to the creek.

Default Re: Band Dehorning

Quote Originally Posted by valley View Post
    Have you done any band dehorning? We always dehorning when the animal is young. But! We recently acquired a buck. We had to rope him because he was never handled didn't even have a name. He will eat from our hand now but we haven't petted or washed him yet. Wife wants him dehorned. I have seen pictures of band dehorning and read a bit. If you have done this yourself I'ed like to get a few pointers. Sure wish I could give him a sedative,it would be easer to clip the hair round the horn and roll on the band if he were at rest.
    I had a Vet come out one time and dehorn one of our cows...It was awful...it made me sick ..there was blood pouring out of the stubs of the horns...never again. and the vet who is still is business said he would never do another one...You should have heard the cow beller...it was awful..I don't know if banding is any better but do be sure to check it out. Much pain involved..
    Bob

WORRYING does not take away tomorrow's TROUBLES, it takes away today's PEACE.

NH - TC-29 , FEL, Bush hog, Bush hog brand finishing mower, Post hole digger, 6' Back blade, sub-soiler, Pallet forks, 20KW PTO Generator , 21 hp Murray Mower
    JD -3020 with FEL and a 16 HP. K-Grow Lawn Tractor (bought from K Mart 1994) and runs great !
    Clark 130 EN Mig Welder

Elite Member
    Tractor
    Branson 2400H

Can you band horns that size? Never used banding on horns but have for castrating calves. Seemed to work well also.

Roy

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Michigan 55A, Foton 254

I have seen pictures. The bands are "castrating band". In about one month the horn sluffs off. I have never done it or seen it in person. I would like to be in contact with a first hander when I do it.
    If I can figure out how I'll post a Picture.
    Last edited by valley; 04-27-2010 at 07:33 PM.

Tractor
    New Holland TT75

Quote Originally Posted by brin View Post
    I had a Vet come out one time and dehorn one of our cows...It was awful...it made me sick ..there was blood pouring out of the stubs of the horns...never again. and the vet who is still is business said he would never do another one...You should have heard the cow beller...it was awful..I don't know if banding is any better but do be sure to check it out. Much pain involved..
    That is exactly the reason people are using the bands now.

Apparently the horn dies and heals through under the horn, which falls off after a month or two.

No blood, and no pain, just some discomfort/annoyance. I've never done it first hand though, only been told about it.

I am considering doing it though as we have one calf that missed getting dehorned last year and now is too old, and another that has 1 horn growing as the dehorning scoop took too small a ring when it was done (not by us, we bought her as a 2 year old heifer)

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Michigan 55A, Foton 254

As you have read we have a buck maybe 2 years old we are wanting to do.
    There is some blood if the horn is knocked off too soon and it is usually planned when fly season is over, unless you can keep a close watch. Please keep in touch so we can combine what we learn.
    You are going into winter there in Queensland good time to do it.
    Last edited by valley; 04-27-2010 at 11:42 PM.

Tractor
    John Deere 2240 MFWD

Quote Originally Posted by marimus View Post
    That is exactly the reason people are using the bands now.

Apparently the horn dies and heals through under the horn, which falls off after a month or two.

No blood, and no pain, just some discomfort/annoyance. I've never done it first hand though, only been told about it.

I am considering doing it though as we have one calf that missed getting dehorned last year and now is too old, and another that has 1 horn growing as the dehorning scoop took too small a ring when it was done (not by us, we bought her as a 2 year old heifer)
    When I had our two and three year old heiffers dehorned it wasn't any big deal. Very little blood if done right. Flies are deffinately an issue though as with cows the sinus cavity will be open until it heals over. Avoid the rainy season and top feeders too. Our vet grew up catching and dehorning cattle on the range. He makes it look easy. I do it with a burner on calves at 1-2 days old. Now that I'm getting out of the Dexters and into Highlands though, no more dehorning.

Never heard of banding horns.
    Cyril

JD 2240 MFWD (with duels now)
    145 FEL, 8ft Rear blade (now I need a 12ft blade)

Elite Member
    Tractor
    265 MF / JD 310B Backhoe

Quote Originally Posted by oldnslo View Post
    Can you band horns that size? Never used banding on horns but have for castrating calves. Seemed to work well also.

Roy
    Roy it does sound like it would work better on the bottom side vs. the top side does it not.

As to the Vet post I saw the same thing when I was like 5 years old. That was a bloody mess with it flying everywhere.

Platinum Member
    Tractor
    Michigan 55A, Foton 254

I,ve seen pictures of horn being sawed off then carterized. I don't want to do that or have it done that way. The sinus will be open on goats too. I don't look forward to it but it seems the only avenue open. I'll have to order a band spreader and bands. Maybe I'll do that now, we are in the middle of a snow storm at this moment, so I'm inside feeding the wood stove.

Super Star Member
    Tractor
    JD 4300, JD X485 JD 4x2 Gator, JD 425, JD455

valley
    You might look at this link for some ideas. And can see a link that shows pics of older goats banded. Some do's and don'ts.
    Says "cattle" but is about goats.

Dehorning cattle with The Callicrate Bander

http://www.nobull.net/bander/dehorningGoats.htm

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast