Walk behind brush cutter.

/ Walk behind brush cutter. #1  

_RaT_

Tractor
Kioti 3510-SE HST
I am aware of a couple of brands like DR and BCS, does anyone have recommendations on some other brands, comments about them. I am looking at the larger models with as much HP as possible. Thanks.

/ Walk behind brush cutter. #2  
I bought the DR Brush cutter with the 17 HP engine a few years ago. The thing is a monster. It kicks a...s. It will kick your a....s. :D

There was an 18 HP Honda engine but it was quite a bit more money for one HP.

The DR will cut down the same sized saplings as my MX 6. About 2-2.5 inches. I also use it to mow the lawn. :D It is nice to know if the lawn gets long, say 24 inches, it really does not matter to the mower. :D:D:D

The DR does what it is supposed to do. I did by the generator a few years ago since it can attach to the engine. They know have a blade that looks interesting. :laughing:

I have only had two problems with the DR and one is my fault. The key switch jammed up on me because dust would get into the switch when the engine was turned off. The DR is in a shed an dust gets into the shed. I know keep a piece of tape over the key hole.

I ended up having to get a new assembly to fix this problem. DR did have GREAT customer service. They helped me shoot the electrical problem I ran into because of the gummed up switch. They really knew what they were doing. AND they told me I could likely get the assembly at Lowes, HD or a JD dealer. :thumbsup: I just bought it from them since it would save me a trip AND I would have what I needed.

The bigger issue is that the lid to the gas tank tells you how much fuel you have left. The problem is that the mechanism to do this is metal and sits in the gas. This metal has rusted on me and clogged up the fuel filter. Major PITA. DR sent me a new gas lid without a problem but the new assembly rusts as well. I just took apart the fuel gauge assembly. Now that the engine is broken in 2.5 gallons of gas lasts at least three hours. After 2-3 hours behind the DR *** I *** am out of gas. :D

The DR will work your fanny off. It is powerful. It will walk over you in reverse. The dead man switch is needed. The hand controls took some getting used too. I don't know if they got easier to use over time or if I got stronger, likely both, but my fore arms hurt bad the first 10-20 hours on the DR. Could have been related to my back injury as well.

The DR brush cutter has skids not tires up front. To turn you have to push DOWN to pick up the skids and then turn. It would be nice if the handle bars where an inch or so taller for me. That pushing down did not make my bad back feel good but I guess I got used to it. :D

I did have to buy some very good work gloves. the pushing down to turn will give large blisters on your hands. Given my space I am turning quite a bit which really can blister up your hands. And bother your back.

I run my DR in the yard but also in the woods and along property lines were the tractor cannot go. It is a beast. It chews up trees, grass and rocks. :eek: If it is tall grass or thick saplings you just have to put it in low gear and go slow. It does not bog down. If the grass is low enough and I use the DR on our road instead of the MX 6 four gear is a fast walk.

The DR does everything I would have expected. And more. I would guess that their returns are from people who cannot handle the machine. You really do have to watch it especially in reverse. It will push you over or into a tree. Anyone who disables the dead man switch to mow is asking to get seriously hurt. Mowing next to a tree you need to leave a bit of space because you can hit a rock or stump which tilts the mower and tosses your handed into the tree. Did I mention good gloves? :D

Later,
Dan

/ Walk behind brush cutter. #3  
Another option is an older gravely with the 30" brush deck. I'd be looking for one with a kohler engine say in the 10-12 hp range. You won't be able to manhandle where it goes. You've got to control it. Sometimes dual wheels and chains are a big plus on a slope.

/ Walk behind brush cutter. #4  
Plus, an advantage of older Gravely's is that they are absolutely bullet-proof; over engineered and over built to the hilt, AND there's lots of cool attachments for them that can usually be had for cheap (may require some re-conditioning;-). I especially like my 40" twin-blade finish mower, and the 48" sickle mower!

- Jay

/ Walk behind brush cutter. #5  
Billygoat is another brand.

I aslo have the 17 HP DR, its pretty useful!

/ Walk behind brush cutter. #6  
I am looking into one of the big ones as well. Does anyone have experience on steep slopes? Will they climb the hill or will they traverse the slope?

/ Walk behind brush cutter. #7  
I am looking into one of the big ones as well. Does anyone have experience on steep slopes? Will they climb the hill or will they traverse the slope?
My dad has a Dr and we have used to go up and down a river levee.
every thing dmccarty said is true they are a beast, and well worth the money.

/ Walk behind brush cutter. #8  
What Dan said..

They work. If they can push it over,they'll cut it.

They will kick your butt though... Its a work out:thumbsup:

/ Walk behind brush cutter. #9  
I'll second everything dmccarty stated. I also once owned the 17HP model. Its a Hoss. Will handle more than you'd think at first glance.

Someone asked about slopes...did pretty good on some areas I had of 30-35% grade. Never had reason to use it anywhere steeper, so I never learned exactly what its true limits are.

Lost

/ Walk behind brush cutter. #10  
Another vote for the DR. I have the 13hp version and it does just fine in all sorts of brush. Very reliable B+S engine. No problems over the past seven years which included two years of heavy use and intermittent use since. Only service besides oil changes has been fixing flats (despite slime).

Agree with all comments about what a workout the machine will give you on uneven ground. It drags you along and requires more than just arm power to change direction quickly or especially when reversing. I cannot imagine using something like the DR without a reverse gear though.