A decent pressure washer?

/ A decent pressure washer? #1  

Sigarms

Tractor
F3080
What to look for in a "decent" pressure washer?

Do you just go off the PSI and gallons per minute?

What makes a $300 washer different from a $600 washer if the specs are in the same parimeters?

At the box stores, I'm figuring some of the "brand names" (such as John Deere or Ridgid) are just sub'ed out and made by someone else.

Anyone have high recommendations on any brands?

Don't really want to spend more than $600, will be used for around the house for various jobs.

/ A decent pressure washer? #2  
I bought a Troybilt pressure washer from Lowe's about 4 years ago. 3700psi, 4gpm with a 13hp Honda engine. Does everything I want to do. Bigger is better with a pressure washer. You can throttle the engine down if you don't need full pressure. If you buy a small washer you'll regret it the first big job you try to do. My pressure washer cost about $950. We have a smaller Troybilt pressure washer at work. Not nearly as effective as the one I have.

/ A decent pressure washer? #3  
I'll second Jesse, a friend of mine has the same unit (Troy-Built 13hp Honda) that he allows me to borrow. I'd say it has better components than most and plenty of power for any job within reason. Just make sure you have a good supply of water to it and get the starting procedure down - it starts easy (1-2 pulls) as long as you follow directions.

Last edited:
   / A decent pressure washer? #4  
I would get one with a Honda engine, one with a GX engine at that, and i think it should have a CAT pump. Lots of rebuild parts for the cat pumps.
PSI is important but so is GPM (gallons per min). A unit that puts out 3000 psi with 3gpm will not clean as fast as one that has 2500 psi at 4gpm. but will cut gunk faster. I like belt drive units but others might not. No need buying a large unit if your just cleaning your patio furniture but if you are wanting to clean your tractor, truck, driveway then go for a big 3000 psi 3.5 gpm unit or bigger.
good luck

Last edited:
   / A decent pressure washer? #5  
Belt drive is what separates the boys from the men:thumbsup: The belt takes the shock when you let go of the trigger before the unloader valve starts to recirculate the water . The older mechanic at Sherwin Williams told me that some direct drive units last as little as 100 hours . He saw a lot of equipment , and even had some ancient parts to fix mine;) .

My machine is a simpson from 1988 with a 11hp honda and a general pump . I rebuilt the pump once myself .

/ A decent pressure washer? #6  
Don't make the mistake I did... Got a 1700 PSI Northern Tool unit. Needs a dedicated 15 amp outlet which I don't have. Outside hose bib also is a little short of the 1.7 gallon water flow needed. So, I have a $500.00 plus pressure washer that just helps hold my concrete floor down in the garage. Might work at my other house, just have not tried it there yet.

mark

/ A decent pressure washer? #7  
you don,t want an axial pump,a piston pump will last much longer.For average use about 2500 psi and 3 gallons per mn. will work ok for most.I once had a diesel powered 4.5 gal. per mn. and 210 temp water and 4000 psi and I could cut lumber with it.A bit of over kill but did it ever work great.But holding that thing was like a fat lady leaning on you all day!:laughing:Dave

/ A decent pressure washer? #8  
I think it depends on your intended use. I have a couple of el-cheapo electric washers that are perfectly adequate for light use. They won't strip paint or wash a foot of mud off a 4x4, but for light use, they are fine.

/ A decent pressure washer? #9  
What makes a $300 washer different from a $600 washer if the specs are in the same parimeters?

the pump.

one is a cheep that will fail in about a year perhaps less. the other is going to be a decent pump that you can expect decent life out of.

Pressure really doesnt do THAT much cleaning.... the VOLUME does. Go with the largest GPM pump you can afford.

/ A decent pressure washer?
Thanks for the info guys, very informative.

Don't make the mistake I did... Got a 1700 PSI Northern Tool unit.

Not sure if I did or not. The only one I had came from Northern Tool. Lasted five years, under $300. Overall not bad I guess for the price (and I did use is), but from what I've read, it seems it can be a hit or miss on the quality of pressure washers.

They won't strip paint or wash a foot of mud off a 4x4,

In part, what I'd be looking to do as well as other chores around the house (brick, deck, driveway, mower...)