Farm or Ranch?

/ Farm or Ranch? #1  

buckeyefarmer

Epic Contributor
Tractor
Kubota L3940 L5030 MF205-4 BX23
I grew up on a 200 acre farm, yet we raised beef cows. No one in the area called their "farm" a ranch. I guess calling things a ranch is more of a western thing. We did raise corn for the cows, and some other farm crops.
And are you a "cowboy" if you grew up taking care of cows, yet you didn't have a horse? :D

/ Farm or Ranch? #2  
I grew up on a 200 acre farm, yet we raised beef cows. No one in the area called their "farm" a ranch. I guess calling things a ranch is more of a western thing. We did raise corn for the cows, and some other farm crops.
And are you a "cowboy" if you grew up taking care of cows, yet you didn't have a horse? :D

Might be a western thing, 'ranch' has its roots in Spanish. I have always thought of it as a size thing. Where I grew up 'farms' were a few hundred acres or less and grew various crops, not just to feed the animals. What were referred to as 'ranches' were usually 1,000+ acres and the only crops grown were hay or other feed crops.

And are you a "cowboy" if you grew up taking care of cows, yet you didn't have a horse?

Well, did you wear pointy-toed 'Cowboy Boots' or square nose 'Sod Buster Boots'? ;)

/ Farm or Ranch? #3  

You're a cowboy if you want to be a cowboy. It's more about a point of view and an attitude than the hat, boots, or mode of transport (none of which, by the way, will detract from the overall image!).

They were never looking for trouble.

But when trouble came, they faced it with courage.

They were always on the side of right.

They defended good people against bad people.

They had high morals.

They had good manners.

They were honest.

They spoke their minds and they spoke the truth, regardless of what people thought or "political correctness," which no one had ever heard of back then.

They were a beacon of integrity in the wild, wild West.

They were respected. When they walked into a saloon (where they usually drank only sarsaparilla), the place became quiet, and the bad guys kept their distance.

If in a gunfight, they could outdraw anyone. If in a fist fight, they could beat up anyone.

They always won. They always got their man. In victory, they rode off into the sunset.

Not much of that is true, except on TV, but, it is a good guide for anyone who wants to start livin' the cowboy way.

Yee-haw!

PS. My ~25 acres is a farm, where we grow flowers, tomatoes, and weeds, and we raise puggles and a Noodle. We call it "Northspoon Ranch", though. HTH!

Last edited:
   / Farm or Ranch? #4  
That's an interesting question buckeye,

Here in the midwest people seem to be a farmers, even if you're a dairy farmer, pig farmer...whatever. Coveralls are more the stereotype than hats.

It seems you've got to go out west to be a rancher.

/ Farm or Ranch? #5  
I lived out west town next door to Charlz and I was a farmer. I agree it seems like more of a South / Western thing of being a rancher. More acres and and didn't raise grain for their animals. Animals where typical free range Vs fenced in.

Roy

/ Farm or Ranch? #6  
I just started a thread called 'AZ Ranch' BEFORE I read this thread. :)

I grew up in Ohio and everything was a farm. Out here in AZ it seems like everything is a ranch. Doesn't really matter to me, as long as it's mine. :laughing: