Fence charger and pets.

/ Fence charger and pets. #1  

QRTRHRS

Elite Member
Tractor
None at this time.
Can a fence charger discharge through an animal like lightning? We have a pretty hot charger. We also have around a two year old golden retriever/hound mix that weighs maybe 35lbs.

She has learned the hard way perhaps a half a dozen times now about the fence. Most of the time, we tie her when we put her out but when I am home in the mornings, I like to let her run loose a bit. I caught her running out towards the road and called her back. (She has gotten better about returning when called.) She got to lollygagging around and though I was watching, I could not tell for sure how but she got hit big time by the fence.

She has a burn in her groin by one back leg and also some redness around her gums. It is as if the fence discharged through her to ground like a lightning strike might for example.

I cannot imagine that she straddeled the fence to get that burn. We have had a lot of rain and everything was wet so she had a good ground.

Just curious if anyone else ever saw something like that?

/ Fence charger and pets. #2  
if it was wet i bet she got a good shock....first time working on my fence the ground was wet i kneeled down and zap felt like someone punched me....realized my mistake the first time.

/ Fence charger and pets. #3  
perhaps she will learn not to touch that metal shinny thing AND to come when called lol

should be no long term damage other than to her behavior!

mark

/ Fence charger and pets.
perhaps she will learn not to touch that metal shinny thing AND to come when called lol

should be no long term damage other than to her behavior!

mark
She has been hanging pretty close to me when I take her out in the am the last two days since she got zapped.

Worst shock I ever got was when I backed into a wire and got it on my spine between my shoulder blades. I saw stars that day.

/ Fence charger and pets. #5  
I tell you them fence charger machines can be pure heck on a dog. Just this spring I had my charger hooked up to a tractor battery trying to get it to come back to life like I read about, article I read said pulsed charging and since I didn't have one of them fancy pulsed chargers I gave the fence charger a shot. Well there sat the battery out of the tractor in the leanto, and the neighborhood German Shepard watchdog came along making his daily rounds. First off when I seen Spot coming I didn't give that weed burner charger a thought, and by the time I did it was too late for ol Spot.

I didn't see exactly what happened, but knowing where Spot was headed and how he just has to check out every new thing on his route and such, I got a real good idea he got his nose a little too close to the battery and got himself bit by that weedburner. Poor fellow wet himself I think and did it without even heisting a leg. I know Spot let loose cause there was a puddle right there by where the battery sat. Seems like it was several weeks before he got within 50 feet of my place making his daily rounds. I don't think it did any permanent damage cause his nose still seems to be able to snigff out a treat when I have one in my pocket, but he sure still don't get near where that battery was sitting. I sure didn't check him for any burns, didn't even think about that.

If that dog of yours has burns you just might want to dab a bit of ButtCream on them and that'll make em heal up right quick. That ButtCream works on everything from a baby's raw butt inthe heat of summer to a rgrown man when he gets himself a load of poison ivy, although I personally like to douse the poison ivy with peroxide first and cook the poison out. Don't go pouring no peroxide onthe dog though, it can cause burns on a dog.