Colt Gold Cup

/ Colt Gold Cup #1  

AMR

Gold Member
Tractor
B3030
Does anyone have one? Thoughts?

I am looking for a classic 1911 style .45. I have a Colt Commander but I traded with my father for a while for his M1 Garand and he is in SC now so I don't see it much. I have a few other handguns, several Glocks, several revolvers, my Colt Anaconda is my favorite among them. Since I was a kid it seams like the Gold Cup has been a legend, I am turning 40 in September and decided it may be time to finally buy one. I will just be shooting this one, if I were to cary a handgun it would be my S&W 340 PD.

/ Colt Gold Cup #2  
Does anyone have one? Thoughts?

I am looking for a classic 1911 style .45. I have a Colt Commander but I traded with my father for a while for his M1 Garand and he is in SC now so I don't see it much. I have a few other handguns, several Glocks, several revolvers, my Colt Anaconda is my favorite among them. Since I was a kid it seams like the Gold Cup has been a legend, I am turning 40 in September and decided it may be time to finally buy one. I will just be shooting this one, if I were to cary a handgun it would be my S&W 340 PD.
I have one in .38 Super...at one time it was the finest, off the shelf, competetion semi-auto available. Today, Kimber and Para Ordnance are probably a little better off the shelf.

/ Colt Gold Cup #3  
I have the 1980's series. Bought it new about 1980. Maybe have one box of rounds thru it.

mark

/ Colt Gold Cup #4  
Take a look at a Taurus 1911. Shoots 2-3X the price.

/ Colt Gold Cup #5  
IMHO If I were collecting, that would be a good pistol to add. But for shooting, as others have already noted, there are other .45's on the market today to look at first.

/ Colt Gold Cup #6  
Take a look at a Taurus 1911. Shoots 2-3X the price.

I'll second this. Have one I purchased several years ago. Been a great pistol to shoot and is the favorite of my small collection.

/ Colt Gold Cup #7  
In its day a Gold Cup was the 1911 to have and its still a great collector gun. I have to agree with some of the others that Para and Kimber and even Springfield have better shooters off the shelf and they have the options we want already on them usually. jmho

Be careful if you are considering a Taurus 1911 ask around just my .02.

Steve

/ Colt Gold Cup #8  
RIA 1911 would be my 1911 of choice. Shoots great out of the box, but with a little 'smithing, they can be fantastic, and you will still have much less $$$ tied up in it than a Kimber or Nighthawk.

Last edited:
   / Colt Gold Cup #10  
A little story... Yes, I have a Gold Cup National 45. Tight gun. Went to the middle east in 1990. Handled the 45's at the time, What a piece of junk. Well, that piece of junk will fire after being in the sand... My Gold Cup will need cleaning after 20 rounds.

mark