What eats the heads off of chickens?

/ What eats the heads off of chickens? #21  
Ozzy Osbourne?
(You'll have to be about 50-60 to get that one...)

Did he copy Alice or did Alice copy Ozzy?

(yes, I'm 50)

Actually, with Alice (Cooper for those who might not know), someone threw a chicken onto the stage with him...it flapped about and he threw it back into the crowd.

To the original question:

I've had beheaded rabbits and mice and birds show up more often than I'd like.

Long story short, I have a murdering cat who nabs them, kills them either rips their heads off or eats it (which makes NO sense to me at all)

he'll eat the top half of the body of mice

He always leaves the remains in the stereo room, right inside the French Doors. I discovered his habit accidently by stepping in....oh, never mind you get the idea.

We've since put a breakaway collar with a bell on it with hopes that the prey will hear the bell and maybe get a better chance of getting away.

This is the most personable, loving, in your lap murderer that you could ever want. :confused2:

/ What eats the heads off of chickens? #25  
You could get a game trail type camera that would capture the culprit in the act - there's flash type and infrared type. It would also document exact time.

/ What eats the heads off of chickens? #26  
I raise pheasant for my preserve,20 years worth,always have to deal with predators...what your describeing is either a hawk or owl...my pens are covered with netting,the hawks and owls fly a the birds,get them in the air and catch them THRU THE NET..kill the bird by biteing the back of the neck;they can't get the body out;so drop it ,fly off with the head.I find headless bodies in my pens.Raccoons will kill and eat most of the bird not just the head.:mad:

/ What eats the heads off of chickens? #28  
In Czech language we call it the bishop, since it looks like bishop's mitre.
When my daughter was getting confirmed at the church, I offered to take her picture with the bishop from our Sunday lunch - she refused:D
Our family has always called it the Pope's nose. :p

/ What eats the heads off of chickens? #29  
On our present property I have had to dispose of 3 minks over the last few years. Twice they killed a hen and her 10 babies, one set about a week old and the other about 5 weeks. The mink go on a killing frenzy and just kill, can kill dozens of chickens in one night. On a previous property we lost about 30 full grown laying hens in one night, again a mink, neighbor shot it. Have had a few killed over the years by raccoons, they will eat more than the head. Could be a bird of prey, I have seen rabbits on our place with only the head gone. We do not have skunks or possums here so can't speak to that.

/ What eats the heads off of chickens? #30  
Nybirdman nailed it, and I would bet on the owl. When I was a boy, growing up on the farm, we had about a week where we found a headless chicken every morning. The rest of the bird was untouched. It was a shame for all that meat to go to waste as we had put a lot of money and time into fattening them up. Times were tough back then, there were lots of hungry kids to feed, and my dad was not too happy with the situation. On the weekend, we butchered a batch and I piled up a dozen or so chicken heads at the scene of the crimes. I figured whatever it was taking the heads (Evil spirit, bear, wolf, coyote, fox, weasel, skunk, raccoon, etc) really liked them so I would give it an offer it could not refuse. Not knowing how large or what type of beast I was dealing with, I surrounded the head pile with traps of all sizes. The next morning I awoke to find a giant, great-horned owl standing near the pile. It was nearly as tall as I was and had a wingspan that seemed like it was close to 10 feet. A number 2 coil-sping trap had crushed and held the elbow of one wing, and a smaller trap was holding one of the claws. I felt bad for the majestic bird and quickly ended its suffering. We didnt loose another chicken after that week. I gave the carcass to my uncle, who was a taxidermist at a big museum in the city, and to this day I can still take my kids to see that evil bird. If it is an owl, you might want to add a roof to your cage or lock the birds in the barn at night.