outdoor boiler

/ outdoor boiler #1  

broncorm

Tractor
b3030
Just bought a Central outdoor wood boiler. The manual says the chimney needs to be 2' higher then the chimney of the house? All the boilers I see outside have chimney a lot lower than the house's chimney, do I need to go the two feet higher?

/ outdoor boiler #2  
Essentially, the NFPA code for chimneys is 2' higher than any point of the roof within 10' of the chimney. Many states have established laws to alleviate the nuisance factor of neighbor outdoor wood-fired boilers that smoke up the neighborhood. Here's the NH statute CHAPTER 125-R OUTDOOR WOOD-FIRED HYDRONIC HEATERS , see the setback section.
Unless you have a gasification unit be sure to use an insulated chimney. MikeD74T

/ outdoor boiler
The furnace without a chimney is higher then my closest neighbor. Its about thirty feet from my house so what your are saying is if its over ten feet away it would not need to be higher then my house chimney, correct?

/ outdoor boiler #4  
The furnace without a chimney is higher then my closest neighbor. Its about thirty feet from my house so what your are saying is if its over ten feet away it would not need to be higher then my house chimney, correct?

I have a dentral boiler and you,re good to go.Mines very effient and easy on wood and smokes no more than a regular wood stove.Too many try burning green wood in the boilers which causes large amounts of smoke.

/ outdoor boiler #5  

My neighbor has a OWB that sits higher than my house, but fairly close. When the air is still, my attached garage fills with wood smoke odor and it is nearly impossible to have our windows open. Apparently he is using it for domestic hot water, or to heat his pool because it is in use constantly. I can't wait for some kind of regulation to be enacted that will let me enjoy my own house again.

/ outdoor boiler #6  
I can't wait for some kind of regulation to be enacted that will let me enjoy my own house again.

I wouldn't count on that ever happening. Usually older installations are grandfathered when new regulations are made.

Wood boilers are one of the many reasons why we decided to spend a bit more and get enough acreage to not have to worry about what neighbors do.

It is really amazing to me how people can create a neighborhood nuisance and then be totally oblivious of the harm they are doing to others...

/ outdoor boiler #7  
I can't wait for some kind of regulation to be enacted that will let me enjoy my own house again.

I wouldn't count on that ever happening. Usually older installations are grandfathered when new regulations are made.

Wood boilers are one of the many reasons why we decided to spend a bit more and get enough acreage to not have to worry about what neighbors do. ...

Not everyone has that option. But my wife and I do own nearly 9 acres. I'm not sure how much land one would have to own to not worry about neighbors. We have folks around here with hundreds of acres that have great interest in what others do or want to do.
It is really amazing to me how people can create a neighborhood nuisance and then be totally oblivious of the harm they are doing to others...

Actually if pending regulations are enacted as they currently read, I will have recourse.

/ outdoor boiler #8  
Unfortunately, the proposed regulations in NY were written with a broad brush and will punish even those who purchased and burned properly their boilers. My wood boiler makes less smoke than my neighbors' wood burning stoves.

Ken

/ outdoor boiler #9  
Unfortunately, the proposed regulations in NY were written with a broad brush and will punish even those who purchased and burned properly their boilers. My wood boiler makes less smoke than my neighbors' wood burning stoves.

Ken

I posted only to point out that there are two sides to every issue, especially concerning OWB's. All too often the regulatory pendulum does swing too far. Simply restricting the use of OWB's to the actual heating season would probably satisfy most of my immediate concerns.

/ outdoor boiler
there are regulations on new ones sold here in VT, but just like anything if the person using it does not follow the guide line it not going to work properly.