Leasing Hunting Land

/ Leasing Hunting Land #1  

TNhobbyfarmer

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3430 Polaris Ranger 500
I'm thinking about leasing a farm for hunting rights. I will be the lessee. Is there any general rule of thumb about how much per acre to charge. I know this will vary depending on the part of the country where the land is. Mine is in Tennessee.

/ Leasing Hunting Land #2  
I don't think are any such rules of thumb. A lot depends on the tract size, game population, etc.

I lease my hunting rights for a nominal fee (just above $1/acre/year) because I know the the lessee and he does a good job of monitoring my farm when I am not around. I know that I could get more for the hunting rights, but knowing that the lessee is keeping an eye out for trespassers, etc. provides a value to me.

You might want to check with neighboring landowners to get a handle on the going rates in your area.

BTW, there are some good resources on the Web concerning hunting lease contracts, etc.

Steve

Last edited:
   / Leasing Hunting Land #3  
Around my farm in upper SC tracts will vary from $4-10 an acre, this all depends on tract size the habitat (planted 10 year old pines or Hardwoods with young clearcuts) location, historic deer harvest #'s and amount of quality bucks know to come from an area. Also if it has well developed roads and established foodplots it will be much more. Its easier to plow and plant an existing food plot even if not planted the last 2 years than to try and make a new one. I think some of the better areas in the country for deer like south GA, Texas, illonois can get $10+ an acre i think some tracts even in S. GA will fetch this price and posibbly $20 an acre for tracts in metro ATL. Illinois may be in the $15 an acre for some good areas but i have no idea. My cousin and i had talked about starting a club on a tract over a 1000 acres and i think it would have been in the $7-10/acre range. Smaller parcels like 40 acres might just be a lumpsum of $500-700 which will work out to over $12/acre.

The days of cheap leases are over, those corporate wusses come to the country in thier huge brand new 4x4 trucks to try and get that macho kick and buy and lease up more land than they ever know they have and sit on their 10K $ food plots and shoot does and wound the bucks with their 2K $ rifles and 1K $ scopes. Every now and then they will kill a monster just by sheer numbers if you put that much into a place and have a guy knowing what he is doing you will grow um. This is at least the case where my family land is , were 1 hour south of Charlotte and they flow out of that place like a river on thursdays and fridays in deer season, in their $50K trucks. Some how i manage to kill as good or better deer than them on my families 130 acre tract and a disjunct 40 acres and then various tracts of public land, that i hunt. Needless to say i am biased of the weekend hunter who can buy deer with his Money.

-Nate

/ Leasing Hunting Land #4  
Some (well, many) years ago I served on the thesis committee of Master's student who studied hunting leases in SC. Part of his study involved a survey of landowners in SC to determine what they received from leasing hunting rights. The only thing that I can recall is that there was a substantial amount of variation in the value of the leases on a per acre basis.

Some farmers can make a substantial contribution to their bottom lines by leasing hunting rights. One local farmer built a dam across one of his creeks, allowing him to flood his bottom crop land after harvest. He harvests part of the crop and then dams the creek. MDs from Atlanta pay a handsome sum to shoot at ducks.

Steve

Last edited:
   / Leasing Hunting Land #5  
Might try to base the rate per acre on what the taxes are per acre.

The taxes on private land in some places has gone pretty high, and leasing is one way to keep the land.
Maybe the day of hunting on land owned by someone else will move toward the European hunting clubs.

/ Leasing Hunting Land #6  
Some (well, many) years ago I served on the thesis committee of Master's student who studied hunting leases in SC. Part of his study involved a survey of landowners in SC to determine what they received from leasing hunting rights. The only thing that I can recall is that there was a substantial amount of variation in the value of the leases on a per acre basis.

Some farmers can make a substantial contribution to their bottom lines by leasing hunting rights. One local farmer built a dam across one of his creeks, allowing him to flood his bottom crop land after harvest. He harvests part of the crop and then dams the creek. MDs from Atlanta pay a handsome sum to shoot at ducks.

Steve

I was thinking you were going to say years ago i served on a guys master committee who had a farm in SC like you. Basically i thought you were going to say you were on my committee or asking if i was your student then. Yes i did go to grad school is why i thought this, cause i did do some appraisal stuff, not hunting lease though.

/ Leasing Hunting Land #7  
Clemsonfor,

Am I correct in guessing that you are a forestry graduate? I'm retired from the Ag. Economics (now Applied Economics and Statistics) Department; however, I served on several Forestry MS committees.

Steve

/ Leasing Hunting Land #8  
Pricing varies greatly around here too. Some charge just enough to pay taxes, some much higher. Others barter it out for help w/ chores, etc. People going in and leasing all the land they can find available then subing it out to others - not actually hunting or even checking on it for the landowner - have certainly contributed to the higher prices. Not to mention owners that previously leased out their land not allowing anyone to hunt anymore.

/ Leasing Hunting Land #9  
Most landowners I know insist on a liability policy carried by the leasee. These a readily availible for this purpose at a reasonable cost. It might not hurt to be proactive in this reguard and have a policy set up and ready to go.

/ Leasing Hunting Land #10  
Clemsonfor,

Am I correct in guessing that you are a forestry graduate? I'm retired from the Ag. Economics (now Applied Economics and Statistics) Department; however, I served on several Forestry MS committees.

Steve

Yep but I dont think your the one, my guy had a farm in Iva and was named Dr. Smathers, well maybe it is you i'm not sure i remember his first name. But seriously i dont think you were on mine i have a BS at clemson as well as an MFR.