Newbie, introduction and question about crp

/ Newbie, introduction and question about crp #1  

Mopar505

Tractor
None
I found this site when I was searching for information on mesquite control on CRP land. There is a lot of useful information about rural living here.

Now, some information about myself. I have lived in the Midland Odessa area (sometimes called the Permian Basin) of Texas for about the last 20 years. About a year ago I bought 167 acres in Dickens County near Spur Texas. I chose this area because it is close to other members of my family that are also farmers and ranchers. None of their land is in CRP.

And now the question about CRP. My land and most of my close neighbors land is in CRP that is due to expire in 2011. Most seem to be sure the contracts will not be renewed. I think most are fearful about our bankrupt government and the CRP program will be cut out of the federal budget to save money and are making plans to convert theirs back to farming and ranching. In discussions with my local CRP office they don't seem to be especially negative about it. They just won't say yes or no about about it. One neighbor has cotton on his land, another is planning on growing cotton, another is planning on leasing to a cotton grower, and another is putting in a water well to support cattle ranching. Any information and opinions from others that have knowledge and experience with the CRP program would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Roger

/ Newbie, introduction and question about crp #2