Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Tractor
    Kioti CK20 HST

Default Re: Golf Cart Pros and Cons

What are the typical ranges (hour wise) that you guys are getting from these electric go carts?

I thought about one for the wife to go get the mail, visit friends in our neighborhood and to bring camping and am torn between gas and electric. I love the torque of the electric models but like being able to bring extra gas with me on long trips that batteries might not handle. By long trips, I am talking about 2-3 hours total and maybe 20 miles tops and not all at once.

I've driven both many times at various golf courses and really like them both. Those Yamaha gas carts are so smooth and quiet!
    Derek
    Kioti CK20HST
    KL120 FEL // KB2365 BH // 60" JRW 3ph snowblower // 48" HD Boxblade
    Sims-Cab Depot heated cab
    Quote Originally Posted by DiamondPilot
    Now it's time for Ford and GM to step up

Tractor
    JD 3320 eHydro w/ 300CX Loader

Quote Originally Posted by impdaddy View Post
    Hey Foggy do you use it in the winter also? We do ours but the range is a lot less due to the cold. We keep it in the unheated garage and charge it always.. For all you ever wanted to know about golf carts see buggiesgonewild.com It is as good as this site with real nice ppl. I rotate betweeen these 2 sites lol.
    I live in MN.....so I don't use it much in the winter. I have driven in some snow...and was surprised how well it works in snow. I do use it through our hunting season....and really like it for getting silently to our stands.

I put a lift kit on mine and larger wheels and tires, a flip / flop rear seat and HD springs. I did this the first winter after getting my cart.....and after first trying it in the fall. AFTER I did the work I had all the problems with the batteries.....so there was no going back on it.

In spite of my battery problems.....I really do like the cart. My wife and I or friends and family can ride silently through our woods and talk at a normal tone.....or sneak up on wildlife, etc.

I have read some cart sites to gain some knowledge on these things....but it's not my passion to know more. Mostly, I just want a reliable cart to drive.

We also have two 4-wheelers. All have their place....but most often I would rather drive the cart. Riding side by side is nice.
    3320 eHydro, 300CX Loader & 15 + great attachments

You gotta mine allot of dirt to find a diamond.

Tractor
    JD 3320 eHydro w/ 300CX Loader

Quote Originally Posted by Dmace View Post
    What are the typical ranges (hour wise) that you guys are getting from these electric go carts?

I thought about one for the wife to go get the mail, visit friends in our neighborhood and to bring camping and am torn between gas and electric. I love the torque of the electric models but like being able to bring extra gas with me on long trips that batteries might not handle. By long trips, I am talking about 2-3 hours total and maybe 20 miles tops and not all at once.

I've driven both many times at various golf courses and really like them both. Those Yamaha gas carts are so smooth and quiet!
    I believe an electric cart without any modifications (and in good condition) should be able to operate for about 3 hours or more of intermittant use. Some slow / some fast. If you run it flat out / wide open for 3 hours....I beleive that would drain the batteries to "0".

Think of it this way....you should be able to use it for 18 holes of golf or more without a charge.

We always plug ours in when we finish driving it. Maybe someone with more long-term use has better advice?
    3320 eHydro, 300CX Loader & 15 + great attachments

You gotta mine allot of dirt to find a diamond.

Tractor
    JD 3320

Love my EZ-GO Electric cart, a real workhorse! 5 years on the batteries so far, but I'm sure I'll be in the market for some soon.

Hey Foggy, do you have a 36V or 48V cart? Did you have the batteries checked to confirm they were bad? On the 36 volt cart (and probably the same with the 48's but I'm not sure) if the batteries aren't putting out a minimum voltage (I can't remember what the figure is, something around 26 Volts I think) the charger won't pick up & charge. I have had this happen to me 3 times since I purchased my cart; all in the winter time.

There is an easy fix for this on the 36V carts; you charge them 2 at a time with a regular 12 volt automotive charger hook to one battery's negative and the consecutive battery's positive until you have done all six , you don't even have to un-hook them. This usually takes me about 2 hours each pair of batteries, but it sure beats buying new ones when you don't really need them. You used to be able to find this method of charging on buggiesunlimited's website, I don't know if it's still there, but trust me it works; you just get enough charge in the batteries so that when you plug in the cart charger it picks up & starts charging!
    JD 3320 w/300CX loader
    JD 790 with 419 FEL R4's w/Rim Guard SOLD
    Implements; never enough
    Bobcat ZT mower
    Yard equipment; as much as I can get
    Chainsaws; too many!

Tractor
    Kubota 2910 HST

I have a 2002 Club Car that was purchased in May of 2004. Still running the same batteries. But they are getting weak. Will replace in the spring.
    Put knob tires on rear for use in light snow and mud use. Like the quietness of a battery operation. Neighbors have gas models that are a lot louder.
    Have a box on cart for carrying just about anything.
    Last edited by ronjhall; 07-07-2010 at 08:53 AM.

"Ranchin'" on a 1/4 of a 1/4 in Seminole County, Oklahoma!
    Tractor
    2004 Kubota M4800 SU

Thanks guys for all the information. I seriously considering getting one and the tech info on the batteries is really helpful! BTW, like Ron did, pics are always helpful. Thanks again.
    Jay

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

If My people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14 NKJV

Gold Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L2800

Like everyone else, my wife and I love our 48-volt Clllub car... use it daily around the ranch... now, when it came time to replace the batteries I went into sticker shock... approx $80 each for 8, 6V... I bought six marine batteries from Wal Mart for about $75 each.. they have a free replacement for 3 years... only time will tell if that was a good or poor choice...
    The Dougster in the Great Republic of Texas

Tractor
    NHTC45D, NH LB75B, Ford Jubilee

Quote Originally Posted by jayste View Post
    BTW, like Ron did, pics are always helpful. Thanks again.
    Okay, here's my picture:

My only problem with an electric golf car is that if/when you run out of "juice" you can't go get the gas can to get it going. You have to tow/push the darn thing back to where you can get an extension cord to it. Electric cars are quiet, easy to operate, and easily modified to do a lot of jobs even if they can't match the carrying capacity of gasoline/diesel models specifically designed as UTVs. I've seriously considered buying one for my brother who is semi-disabled. I think he would be less likely to mess up an electric cart than a gasoline one. With ethanol and trash a possibility in gasoline models, you could make the argument that there will be plenty of times a gas can won't help you get one of them back to the house either.
    Jim

Tractor
    Deere 755

We have an old (late 80's) EZ-Go gas cart that we got about 20 years ago after it was retired from ground maintenence duties at the golf course. In all the time we've owned it, all I've ever done is put gas/oil mix in the tank and air up the tires. it has wide, smooth turf friendly tires and the only traction problem I ever have is in mud. With a big steep hill separating the house/shop portion of our property from the woods/garden/chickens/fruit farm, the cart is a godsend. We recently (2 years ago) bought a Gator HPX for heavier work duties-my wife wanted a hydraulic dump- but I prefer the golf cart if I'm looking to just transport myself and a few small tools, or using the electric spray rig.
    Jerry

JD 755 w/70 loader, 60" MMM, DR 3pt chipper, Woods RB60 blade, 48" KKII tiller, 8 hp tow behind Giant Vac
    Gator HPX 4x4 Gas,Cat 303c CR mini-ex

Tractor
    Kubota 2910 HST

Quote Originally Posted by The Dougster View Post
    Like everyone else, my wife and I love our 48-volt Clllub car... use it daily around the ranch... now, when it came time to replace the batteries I went into sticker shock... approx $80 each for 8, 6V... I bought six marine batteries from Wal Mart for about $75 each.. they have a free replacement for 3 years... only time will tell if that was a good or poor choice...
    Hmm? My 48 volt Club Car has 6 8volt batteries. Newer ones have 4 12volt batteries.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast