Golf Cart Pros and Cons

/ Golf Cart Pros and Cons #1  

jayste

Veteran Member
"Sold the 1/4 of a 1/4 but still tractorin' "
Tractor
2004 Kubota M4800 SU
Well, a good friend of mine is trying to get me to buy a golf cart or car or whatever you call those things. I have to admit it would be handy BUT do I REALLY need it? I have a four wheeler that's a little old and it would be nice to use the cart around the place running back and forth to the barn, mailbox, working on fence or whatever. Can you guys who own one give me your suggestions. I'm looking at an electric model....

/ Golf Cart Pros and Cons #2  
We've had a gas Club Car for about three years and used it really hard and it goes wherever I want to go, in the fields across ditches and hauling stuff around the farm. Kinda reminds me of the FEL, wonder how I got by without it. I really want a RTV, but can't justify that kind of money unless I run onto a really good deal on a used one. Might just have to paint the CC orange.

/ Golf Cart Pros and Cons #3  
I have an electric Club Car purchased used 7 years ago. It is a rare day when it isn't used for something. I replaced the batteries last year.

/ Golf Cart Pros and Cons #5  
I would have a hard time living without my (electric) EZ-GO cart...

I had the bag holders replaced with a utility box w/tailgate...I use it many times a day on our hilly property...the electric carts have more torque than you would think...exceptional...(more than the gas carts)

I use it as a support vehicle for my tractor when I'm using the tractor any distance from the barn...

I just replaced the batteries (6-6v) after getting 6 good and 1 marginal year with the last ones...
If you find a (battery) distributor you can get "blemished" batteries for about $80/ea....that would normally sell for much more they merely have minor blemishes that do not effect the performance etc...

/ Golf Cart Pros and Cons #6  
I have a EZGO electric and I use it every day, I made a hitch for it so I can pull my lawnmower cart with it. Makes moving tools around the place a lot easier.

/ Golf Cart Pros and Cons #7  
I would have a hard time living without my (electric) EZ-GO cart...

I had the bag holders replaced with a utility box w/tailgate...I use it many times a day on our hilly property...the electric carts have more torque than you would think...exceptional...(more than the gas carts)

I use it as a support vehicle for my tractor when I'm using the tractor any distance from the barn...

I just replaced the batteries (6-6v) after getting 6 good and 1 marginal year with the last ones...
If you find a (battery) distributor you can get "blemished" batteries for about $80/ea....that would normally sell for much more they merely have minor blemishes that do not effect the performance etc...

I have a EZGO electric and I use it every day, I made a hitch for it so I can pull my lawnmower cart with it. Makes moving tools around the place a lot easier.
+1 for each. I have the same cart raised on those balloon knobby tires. Bought with used batteries and new tires about 6yrs ago. Tires are about 1/2 worn out -- batteries are still ok. You have to keep the connections good, and fluid to the correct level. It comes with an intelligent charger so we charge ours near every night whether it needs it or not -- gotta check fluid every month when you do that. It will climb a 28 degree slope. 30 might bring it to a halt but I havnt tried.
larry

/ Golf Cart Pros and Cons #8  
I bought a 1978 +/- model electric club car last year for our cabin property. Best money I ever spent. My wife has ra so doesn't get around real good. Holy s%^& she absolutely loves the thing. Now I am hooked and looking for an electric maybe 4WD or something newer that I can lift and use to go to the tree stand etc. They are a cool vehicle IMHO.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

/ Golf Cart Pros and Cons #9  
I have an electric EZ Go cart. I had a bad experience shortly after getting mine. I bought my machine (2002 PDS) with batteries which had recently been replaced by the former owner (1 year-old batteries). But....they batteries only lasted about six months before they all went dead on me. I am not sure how that happened...but they were top-shelf T-105 model Trojans....and Trojan would not stand behind them.

So, I ended up replacing them at a high price. $700. :confused2: Then two of those batteries went dead. :confused2::confused2: This time Trojan stood behind those. The service manager told me that he only gets about two bad batteries a year out of Trojan.....out of over 1000 he sells each year (large repair facility)....so I guess I was just snake bit on this cart.

I cannot attribute my problems to anything but a bit of bad luck. I did everything right.....kept em charged...yadda yadda....but sometimes life just throws you a curve ball. These batteries should last 5 years and longer....and most often do just that. If I have another battery problem anytime soon.....I will NOT continue to own a cart. (not a threat....a promise :laughing:)

Having said this.....my battery problems seem to be behind us now.....and we again love our cart. It is a very handy vehicle....and I like the quiet ride around our land.

Good luck on the cart.....I think you'll like it. Just mind the batteries if you go electric. Keep it plugged in when not in use.

/ Golf Cart Pros and Cons #10  
Hey Foggy do you use it in the winter also? We do ours but the range is a lot less due to the cold. We keep it in the unheated garage and charge it always.. For all you ever wanted to know about golf carts see buggiesgonewild.com It is as good as this site with real nice ppl. I rotate betweeen these 2 sites lol.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Last edited: