How to "glue" birdseed to bird house???

/ How to "glue" birdseed to bird house??? #1  

RobertN

Tractor
New Holland TC40D
How to \"glue\" birdseed to bird house???

We saw an ad in a magazine for a birdhouse. It is covered with seed. The ad's idea is that the birds can eat the seed off the house, and live in it.

We want to build our own. But, we have not figured out how to attach the seed to the wood birdhouse. Some type of adhesive must be used, that is "bird safe". Any idea's on an adhesive that might work?

ps. i asked on countrybynet too, so if you look at both forums it's there too!

/ How to "glue" birdseed to bird house??? #2  
Re: How to \"glue\" birdseed to bird house???

Robert;

What about using egg whites? I not sure about how weather proof that might be. Another thing you might try is that white paste glue that we all use to eat in kindergarten. That's my two cents.

Sim

/ How to "glue" birdseed to bird house??? #3  

Plain old Elmers glue works great. Just spread a thin layer on the sides of your bird house and sprinkle any kind of seed you prefer. I've even bandsawed dried corn cobs lengthwise with the corn still intact and glued the halves to the roof.

/ How to "glue" birdseed to bird house??? #4  

Robert -

My 10-year old daughter did a similar thing as part of Girl Scout project. Instead of a wooden house, they were coating pinecones with seed.

Glued 'em on with peanut butter.
crazy.gif

/ How to "glue" birdseed to bird house??? #5  

Peanut butter, non toxic and edible!

/ How to "glue" birdseed to bird house??? #6  

Sorry Harv, you were 10 seconds faster!

/ How to "glue" birdseed to bird house??? #7  

how about pressing the seed into the sticky side of duct tape, and then stapling the duct tape to the bird house...easy to change when the seed is all gone, an duct tape works for everything
heehaw

/ How to "glue" birdseed to bird house??? #8  

<font color=blue>duct tape works for everything</font color=blue>

Too good, maybe. You might just come home and find a bunch o' birds stuck to your birdhouse. /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

/ How to "glue" birdseed to bird house??? #9  

Harv, you have just painted a picture that has cracked me up. Thanks,

Patrick

/ How to "glue" birdseed to bird house??? #10  

I did that with my grandson last fall. Will probably do again this year. He liked doing this for the birds. And he likes helping grandma fill the half a friggen dozen bird feeders she keeps around here. I'm going poor buying bird seed.

This is no kidding. I have 4 dogs and buy at least 4 times more bird seed than dog food.