AM/FM Antenna

/ AM/FM Antenna #1  

Dennisfly

Gold Member
Lake Anna, Virginia and Alleghany County, VA
Tractor
John Deere 4410
So, I sprang for an Onkyo home theater system for my newly finished basement and it includes an AM/FM receiver. It also includes an FM antenna that is just a piece of insulated wire about 4 feet long and an AM antenna that is an open plastic rectangle about 2" X 4" with a stand so it can sit on a shelf. The radio reception is mediocre at best.

There are two AM stations that I like to listen to and I can receive them on the car radio OK, but not the home receiver. Any suggestions for a better antenna or booster?

I am looking at something like this: http://www.amazon.com/Terk-Indoor-AM-Antenna-ADVANTAGE/dp/B000069EUW/ref=pd_rhf_shvl_1

Looking on the internet, it appears some wire wrapped repeatly around a piece of 4 or 6 inch PVC and placed next to the receiver might be sufficient for the AM antenna, and a wire stretched between to points for the FM.

Any thoughts?

/ AM/FM Antenna #2  
FM antennas used to be two wires that were split, maybe 18" to 24" long on each side of the split. They had plastic grommets on the end so you could thumbtack them to something and hold them up and apart. Might try that with some light speaker wire or similar.

I think many products are made assuming they will be used in strong signal areas these days.
Dave.

/ AM/FM Antenna #3  
I think part of the problem may be your location. The basement is below ground I would guess, and I don't know what the house supporting structure is but I would guess it is some substantial structure above the basement, thick flooring and support, and that is probably interfering with the signal reaching the antennas located in the basement. I would think you would be better off if you can an antenna outside. Transmitted signals travel though the air, that is why your car antenna is located out side of the car so it can get the signal off the airwaves.

Or a signal booster that would amplify the signal that is getting through, but the quality of the signal would probably be better if brought in from out side rather than amplifying the weak signal.

/ AM/FM Antenna #4  
These days.... Just get on the net and find a home made build it yourself antenna. I built one for television with jaw dropping excellent results. It looks like a science project compared to a commercial job but the price was right (3$) and the performance is superb.

Ideally, you would mount the antenna outside or on the roof to get the reception you are lacking in the basement.

/ AM/FM Antenna #5  
These days.... Just get on the net

Most decent stations have internet streaming. Even a laptop with phone outputs can be fed directly into the receiver for crystal clear sound. If your local station doesnt stream, you can do a search for "internet radio". there are many stations for varied tastes

/ AM/FM Antenna #6  
Acutally, I meant to get on the net to find a "how-to" to build yourself a proper am/fm antenna. Good point though on the streaming radio if you have the resources.