Chain Mystery

/ Chain Mystery #1  

ShenandoahJoe

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota B7300
In a box that sat at the back of my grandfather's workshop, we found a bunch of pieces of 5/16" steel log chain. One was 10' long, one 5'2", one 4'6", three 3', one 2', and two are 16" long. They've been well kept. From context, I guess they were put in that box in Virginia sometime in the 1960s. Grandfather was a steelworker and a serious gardener. He's been gone for 15 years, and he didn't say much while he was around. :) I can't ask him, so I'll ask the brain trust here.

What were they for? Or are they just a box of chains?

/ Chain Mystery #2  
I vote for a box of chain remnants, never know when a piece of chain will come in handy. Your GF probaby kept everything oiled and wiped down.
Dave.

/ Chain Mystery #3  
Ditto... chains, short and long can be useful ...no point in throwing anything away...my grandfather even saved the aluminum foil from chewing gum wrappers....used them on coon traps.

/ Chain Mystery #4  
I have lots of short chain pieces for those special lifting/pulling tasks.

/ Chain Mystery #5  
I agree with the others.

I have a single length of chain. It's a grade 100 square link and is 25' long.

There are numerous times a piece of chain 6' (or 10' or 15') long would be perfect but I have never bought other chain so I make everything work with this 25' length. Sometimes it's great and sometimes it's a pain in the hiney.

/ Chain Mystery #6  
Like my box of bungees that are all different lengths, I think assorted lengths of chain with grab hooks on each end would be very useful. You could paint all similar length chain hooks a similar color (yellow, red, green, and orange like tractors ;)) and hang them inside a 5-gal pail for easy access.

/ Chain Mystery #7  
Folks that grew up during the great depression did'nt throw anything away.

mark

/ Chain Mystery #8  
Folks that grew up during the great depression did'nt throw anything away.

mark

I understand that.. but what is the excuse for some of today's folks?

I know a guy that is fairly well off and I swear he has more junk than Sanford and his son....

J

/ Chain Mystery #9  
Personally I don't throw anything away because sure as I do 5 minutes later I'll have to get in the truck & drive to town to buy one of whatever the garbageman just left with. I don't throw anything away & when I have to buy replacement parts I try to buy 2 of everything. Building materials? buy what you need & a dozen extras. If I don't need it today I'll need it tomorrow. If I'm not using it right now one of the neighbors may have the same problem & it's likely closer to drive to my place & get what they need & then the next trip to town buy me a replacement for my replacement. Most of the time it's plumbing parts. Something about waterlines in winter. Don't often do outdoor plumbing work in the summer. It seems to be more necessary when it's 20 or 30 below zero. Wanna see a guy go into a rage? Watch me have to drive to town to buy a fitting for a buck & a half when I bought 3 of them the last time I was in town instead of buy the dozen & a hlaf that I thought I should. I hate it when I outsmart myself.

/ Chain Mystery #10  
Just a box of chains,,,did any of them have any thing on the ends of the chains?:)