All-terrain wheelchair?

/ All-terrain wheelchair? #1  

sixdogs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, Kubota MX5100, Deere 790 TLB, Farmall Super C
My 92 year-old in-laws may wind up living with us and my father-in-law needs a wheelchair from polio as a child. When he last visited we got him a wheelchair and pushed him around the yard so he could get out.
He would like to be a little more independant so I was thinking of buying him some sort of electric whelchair that would go over rough terrain in the back and front yards. I could build one too.
There is not much to go on searching the net and ai was wondering if anyone had any ideas or info about this. Thanks in advance.

/ All-terrain wheelchair? #2  
Chris Blais is desert racer who raced Baja, Dakar etc. He sustained spinal injury in 2007 that left him a paraplegic. When he was up here for the National Hare and Hound earlier this year he was sporting a wheelchair made from a Segway. It has balloon type tires and a seat. I have a pic somewhere. Might be a little $$$ but maybe you could find an old Segway :thumbsup:

/ All-terrain wheelchair? #3  
I would have to ask; we have a Scout in our Troop that is wheel chair bound. He has a motorized one. He went to two week long camps this year; and to some other events. He went everywhere with that thing.

From what the boys Dad says though, be ready for the $$$ signs...

Might also check to see what Danny Magoo Chandler uses. I have never seen him in a motorized chair, but may be worth looking. He crashed in Frnace at a motocross race, and lost use of his legs.

/ All-terrain wheelchair? #4  
Are you thinking of a powered wheelchair, or a unpowered one?
Does he have the use of his legs, or would hand controls be needed?
You might get a golf cart to start with and modify it to have a bucket seat (with a rops/seatbelt?) and hand controls (if needed).

If you need hand controls, try a Stunt bike brake control ("Gyro Brake") mounted on the steering wheel for throttle and a hand operated ebrake from a forklift for the brakes.

Aaron Z

/ All-terrain wheelchair? #5  
without more info on why he is in a wheelchair....

atv? if its automatic then its all handcontrols.

/ All-terrain wheelchair? #6  
My buddy's wife who is 300 pounds+ has an electric wheelchair that goes over pretty rough ground. It can easily handle parks and gravel driveways and my front and back yard.

No, it isn't 4wd and can't handle mud or deep sand but I don't suspect that is what you want.

She has another smaller one that she uses inside her home. I don't know the brand but I am sure if you Google electric wheelchairs you can find some that will handle moderately rough terrain.

I have always wondered about these TV commercials that say that can supply one to someone on social security for little or no cost.

There are some here that can do practically anything. http://deputydog.wordpress.com/2007/12/04/hi-tech-wheelchairs/

/ All-terrain wheelchair? #7  
My father in law had an electric wheel chair that he got free from Medicare. Since he died I have been trying to sell it to no avail, as the government gives them away for free. So, if you want to modify one, you can pick up one on Craigslist for peanuts.

Last edited:
   / All-terrain wheelchair? #8  
I have a relative that fits chairs to individuals. She has always raved about the Jazzy power chair. It looks normal but if you look up some vids you can see it going up/down over curbs, lawns and mild off-roading. Worth a look.

/ All-terrain wheelchair? #9  
I am not disabled...but just thinking about it...If they can make a lunar rover...why do we not see any 4wd off road use wheel chairs? Electric or gas?