Cows are Smart Critters

/ Cows are Smart Critters #1  

JESSE1

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 6400
When the weather turns warm, my cows start heading for the pond. The bull gets as deep as he can, the cows enjoy the water too. It was over 100 today so they hit the water early this morning and made several trips to the beach during the day.

Attachments

• IMG_1581.JPG
    IMG_1581.JPG
    692.6 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_1580.JPG
    IMG_1580.JPG
    754.8 KB · Views: 193
  • IMG_1582.JPG
    IMG_1582.JPG
    497.8 KB · Views: 217
   / Cows are Smart Critters #2  
Yep, with our recent weather, you can sure understand why they're in that water.

/ Cows are Smart Critters #3  
Nice, happy cows. Kind of like a Bluebell Icecream commercial.:D

Looking good!

/ Cows are Smart Critters #4  
Probably feels great. But...they sure can muddy the water.

/ Cows are Smart Critters #5  
I lease a place that has a fence that runs out into a pond and separates the pasture from the landlord's back yard. One of my cows liked to wade out into the water and come out in the short grass of the yard. There's no good reason for it, nothing to graze. It was her habit, and the only way I could stop it was to provide her with a trip to Paris...Texas(sale barn.)
Butch

/ Cows are Smart Critters #6  
It looks so funny seeing cows in the water like that. Excellent pics.

/ Cows are Smart Critters #7  
When bass fishing in Florida, we used to troll between the cows and land. They would be 200 yards into the lake (4-5' deep) eating vegitation. This was in February - average 85 degrees. Lots of gators around too, they didn't seem to mind.

/ Cows are Smart Critters
Probably feels great. But...they sure can muddy the water.

They do more than just muddy the water but they don't seem to mind! The bull especially seems to enjoy being in the water. He'll stay in there for thirty minutes, eyes half closed and chewing his cud.

/ Cows are Smart Critters #9  
We were at the zoo in Cincinnati last week and one of the elephants was in its pond, down to its eyeballs. It was spraying water on its head with its trunk. We were there a couple minutes and all of a sudden a second trunk pops up like a periscope, sucks some air and goes back under. :laughing: There were two in there and you wouldn't have known it except for that snorkel every few minutes. :thumbsup: Animals know when its too hot. :)

/ Cows are Smart Critters #10  
They do more than just muddy the water but they don't seem to mind! The bull especially seems to enjoy being in the water. He'll stay in there for thirty minutes, eyes half closed and chewing his cud.

Can you imagine what it must feel like to be covered in black furry cowhide out in 100 degree weather? By keeping their belly and legs in that water, I'd bet they lower their body temperature a bunch. The bad part is when they get in too deep or get stuck in the mud.