Tractor
    JD 5520 Montana 4340 Farmall Super A Montana 5720C

Default What to do with a 600 lb Boar ??

Well here's the deal ... My Hampshire boar got so big the sows couldn't support his weight ... I advertised him for sale ... no takers ... I offered him free ... still no takers. I was talking with my uncle and he said " Your grandad would be 104 this year and he came thru the depression with 8 kids to feed" and he says casterate him, give him 90 days and then butcher him !!!

So ... we casterated him put him on full feed for 90 days and 2 weeks ago he went to the BEST sausage maker in Texas ... he weighed in at 610 lbs with 462 lbs of hanging meat.

I had him made into Smoked German Sausage, Cajun Sausage, Beer Brats, Hot Links, Bacon and smoked hams (I had the hams quartered) ... Took him to a real German Butcher Shop AND OMG ... its really really Good!!

Default Re: What to do with a 600 lb Boar ??

You couldn't have sold him for meat?

Boars are not usually worth much per pound but with all the pounds it adds up.

I worked for a pig farmer when I was in high school. He sold a boar once that was just shy off a half ton.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking." George Patton

Tractor
    John Deere 790, 420, 314, "L/60" Custom & 70 I

Sounds like a LOT of sausage!!!

Platinum Member

Quote Originally Posted by blueriver View Post
    Well here's the deal ... My Hampshire boar got so big the sows couldn't support his weight ... I advertised him for sale ... no takers ... I offered him free ... still no takers. I was talking with my uncle and he said " Your grandad would be 104 this year and he came thru the depression with 8 kids to feed" and he says casterate him, give him 90 days and then butcher him !!!

So ... we casterated him put him on full feed for 90 days and 2 weeks ago he went to the BEST sausage maker in Texas ... he weighed in at 610 lbs with 462 lbs of hanging meat.

I had him made into Smoked German Sausage, Cajun Sausage, Beer Brats, Hot Links, Bacon and smoked hams (I had the hams quartered) ... Took him to a real German Butcher Shop AND OMG ... its really really Good!!
    I grew up on a hog farm and gotta say thats a freezer load you,ve got.BTW the best pork we ever had was butchering after we got a buy on beer that had gone through a licquer store fireDave

Tractor
    1/3 PARTNERSHIP IN BOTA 7060 (PLANT NURSERY OPERATION) SOLD MY PERSONAL L3400 DT BOTA

[QUOTE=blueriver;2052273]
    So ... we casterated him

Wish I lived closer to you and had known sooner.I would have bought his n*@s from you and given them to my FIL.
    All the poor old guy goes around saying all day is"Yes Dear" and I'am plum sick and tired of hearing it.
    Boone
    2 CHRONICLES 7 : 14 (KJV)

Quote Originally Posted by bullbreaker View Post

Wish I lived closer to you and had known sooner.I would have bought his n*@s from you and given them to my FIL.
    All the poor old guy goes around saying all day is"Yes Dear" and I'am plum sick and tired of hearing it.
    Boone
    She would probably just take them away too.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking." George Patton

Tractor
    1/3 PARTNERSHIP IN BOTA 7060 (PLANT NURSERY OPERATION) SOLD MY PERSONAL L3400 DT BOTA

[QUOTE=Duffster;2052325]She would probably just take them away too.

Thinking it over,I'd say your right.I would have just been throwing money away!
    Boone
    2 CHRONICLES 7 : 14 (KJV)