Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Veteran Member

Default Re: They're not just for mice anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Freds View Post
    I have no idea how mice get into a house or other sealed structure. I've got all my "drains, the gas lines and the electric cord" sealed with either mortar or foam insulation and I still get a mouse or two in the house in the winter. It boggles my mind how they get in unless they are sneaking in behind me, lol. And I tried the sticky trap once, but once was enough. I'll go for the clean head snap now.
    That's pretty weird about the snake. Wrong place at the wrong time for sure.
    1. Foam doesn't work. I had a neat mouse hole going clear through a 8" hole in my crawl space filled with foam.

2. Glue traps? Same here. Only used them once - never again. IMO that is cruelty to animals even if they are vermin.

Harry K

Veteran Member

Dunno why it works but mice that die from Warfarin poison don't seem to smell. I keep a couple bait stations in the basement and also a two packs in the car after I found a roll of towels chewed up.

Now if I could just convince the cat that bringing in live 'toys' is not PC... Does keep my mouser dog amused though.

Harry K

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L3130HST & ZD326s

Quote Originally Posted by turnkey4099 View Post
    1. Foam doesn't work. I had a neat mouse hole going clear through a 8" hole in my crawl space filled with foam.

2. Glue traps? Same here. Only used them once - never again. IMO that is cruelty to animals even if they are vermin.

Harry K
    Yeah, I know they could eat their way through, but my foam sealings are intact. I can't find a crack or hole in the whole basement, that's why I just don't get it And no cat to bring me "presents", lol.

I thought those glue traps were supposed to eventually suffocate the mouse when it got it's nose stuck to it, but the mouse I caught was very much alive and very mangled looking from trying to get free. And of course it had dragged the trap all over, peeing and pooping the whole time

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    94 Cub Cadet 1440

Google bucket mouse trap. 5 gallon bucket that catches many mice. Resets itself and works great. My personal record is 10 mice in 24 hrs down at the compound.
    1949 Ford 8N w/ front plow, 1994 Cub Cadet 1440 w/ 42" deck,Steel 10 CF Cub Cadet dump cart and snowplow

Stihl MS 290 Farm Boss 20" Bar
    Stihl FS 45 Trimmer

Tractor
    Kubota L4400HST, R4 tires, L2228 Quick-attach setup

I have a garden shed on my property where I store my lawn equipment. It even has a sink and countertop setup in it which was installed by the previous owners. Now, I know the shed is far from rodent proof, but you gotta shake your head when I retrieved my riding mower and saw a mouse sitting by the sink calmly looking at me! No fear, he just wanders away.

Silver Member
    Tractor
    2006 Mahindra 6000, 1987 Ford 2910

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty2 View Post
    Google bucket mouse trap. 5 gallon bucket that catches many mice. Resets itself and works great. My personal record is 10 mice in 24 hrs down at the compound.
    Same basic concept, but I have had a lot of success with these traps.

Getting Rid Of Mice! Victorョ TIN CATョ Mouse Trap, Model M310

When a mouse or mice is/are caught, just drop it in a five gallon bucket of water and drown the critters and dump them out.

Tractor
    Bobcat T190 Ford 8N

I use foam, but i also stuff it full of steel wool. I do foam on the outside for about an inch, thel 2 inches of steel wool, then fill from the inside till it is flush.

Georgia - Mt. Vernon by The Store just 5 miles east and right by the big oak tree then to the creek.

As I understand it Mice have no skeleton ..they can collapse their bodies and squeeze through the smallest opening you can imagine. When we had our house built I had consturction adhesive applied liberally on top of the base plate all around our house..it took about 3 cases of adhesive and then we used house wrap and foam wherever needed..so far after 5 yrs. no mice but when we used to live at the farm even with our mouser cats we had mice...steel wool in the openings stopped that.
    Bob

WORRYING does not take away tomorrow's TROUBLES, it takes away today's PEACE.

NH - TC-29 , FEL, Bush hog, Bush hog brand finishing mower, Post hole digger, 6' Back blade, sub-soiler, Pallet forks, 20KW PTO Generator , 21 hp Murray Mower
    JD -3020 with FEL and a 16 HP. K-Grow Lawn Tractor (bought from K Mart 1994) and runs great !
    Clark 130 EN Mig Welder

Elite Member
    Tractor
    MT180D

Effective mouse trap!

A 5 gal pail with popcorn sitting in the bottom.
    Placed near a wall or with a plank to serve as an access ramp.

We had a log cabin and happened to leave some popcorn sitting in the pail and awoke in the wee hours to hear plop! plop!.
    The mouse was trying to jump out and just could not make it.
    Caught many mice with that rig.

A variance is about 2" of water in the bucket so the critters drown. (PS float the corn on a block of wood.)

Tractor
    Kubota L3830HST

Dave

"If your sport does not put grease, blood, or dirt under your fingernails, then it's just a game!"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast