Getting Rid of Crab Grass In Fescue Pasture

/ Getting Rid of Crab Grass In Fescue Pasture #1  

dieselscout80

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland TC45DA
What is the best way to get rid of crab grass in a pasture with fescue without killing the fescue?

/ Getting Rid of Crab Grass In Fescue Pasture #2  
What is the best way to get rid of crab grass in a pasture with fescue without killing the fescue?

You have a choice between pre- and post-emergence herbicides. The link below gives some brand names.

Crabgrass Management Guidelines--UC IPM

This isn't intended as an Aggie joke -- I remember reading that agronomists at Texas A&M were researching crabgrass as a forage.

Steve

/ Getting Rid of Crab Grass In Fescue Pasture #3  
Will 2-4-D kill Fescue? I dont know just asking another question, cause i think it kills crabgrass?

/ Getting Rid of Crab Grass In Fescue Pasture #4  
Will 2-4-D kill Fescue? I dont know just asking another question, cause i think it kills crabgrass?

No for both plants, at least at recommended application rates. It only works on broad leaf plants.

Steve

/ Getting Rid of Crab Grass In Fescue Pasture #5  
If it is pasture and it has cattle, they will selectively graze the crabgrass instead of the fescue. If it is a pasture that no longer is grazed, thus becoming like a "grass place", then you are limited to pre-emergence chemicals in the spring for the most part. There are post emerge products but are 1() expensive and 2) less than great performers.

/ Getting Rid of Crab Grass In Fescue Pasture
If it is pasture and it has cattle, they will selectively graze the crabgrass instead of the fescue. If it is a pasture that no longer is grazed, thus becoming like a "grass place", then you are limited to pre-emergence chemicals in the spring for the most part. There are post emerge products but are 1() expensive and 2) less than great performers.

Horses not cows yet anyway. ;)

/ Getting Rid of Crab Grass In Fescue Pasture #7  

Agreed. And the pre-emergent herbicides I have tried were neither (a) inexpensive nor (b) all that effective. I gave up in my yard and planted ground cover.

To the OP. You probably know this, but make sure that you read the label for any restrictions on grazing after application.

Steve

/ Getting Rid of Crab Grass In Fescue Pasture #8  
Researching articles on crabgrass, am finding that only pre-emergence is effective (and then only if the timing is right). Too early and the pre-emergence doesn't work. Too late...same.
Need a crystal ball to know the upcoming weather to get it "just right".

2,4-D is not effective on crabgrass.

/ Getting Rid of Crab Grass In Fescue Pasture #9  
Horses not cows yet anyway. ;)

Horses will also select for the crabgrass because in the heat crabgrass is more palatable and has higher nutrient value than fescue in its semi dormant summer slump. If horses, Fescue is not particularly good for them especially breeding mares so if you have breeding mares or fillies that you will breed, don't kill the crabgrass.

/ Getting Rid of Crab Grass In Fescue Pasture #10  
As beenthere has said, it's about timing.

I will add that it's also somewhat expensive.

The most effective way I have found is to use a good quality pre-emergent fertilizer in the spring, (I use Lesco brand), which will require a second application 3 months later, if you have a serious infestation, and really want to be sure.

The fertilizer will help the desirable grasses to grow, which helps to prevent future infestation.

Crabgrass killers are only somewhat effective, and then only on the very young plants.

Once you have a field of mature crabgrass plants, there is nothing effective, that won't kill everything else.

If the area is isolated, I will go in with Round-up, and spot the crabgrass before it goes to seed. and then reseed it in the fall.

If it is spread out all over, I walk through the area, and yell, "JUST WAIT TILL NEXT YEAR!". It don't help, but I feel better. :thumbsup: