Pellet Stoves, Which to start with?

/ Pellet Stoves, Which to start with? #1  

sweettractors

Advertiser
Tractor
JD 6403 CHA-JD 3130 CHA
With Propane and electric being so high locally, I am thinking of adding new pellet stoves to our product line. The local market has 0 knowledge about them. The sale price would need to be low cost driven because of the poor economy. So I would be interested in what you guys have to say about brands and basic starter type machines and pricing. Ken Sweet

/ Pellet Stoves, Which to start with? #2  
Ken
If the local market knows zero, what is the supply of pellets like? Also zero, or waiting for stoves?

Around here, the pellet stoves seem to be a fad...they buy them and use them for a winter or two then seem to become disenchanted for reasons I'm not sure.
Often complaints are maintenance, and supply of pellets. As to supply of pellets, they come in many qualities. Some have a lot of dirt that doesn't burn but adds a lot of ash. Getting known quality of pellet seems to be a mystery.

Some stoves burn corn. Might be another decision for you.

Is there a possibility that you could contact several mfg's and have their better model shipped to you for set-up and burning. Then decide which line to handle? Probably would require buying each one as they wouldn't want to provide them.

/ Pellet Stoves, Which to start with? #3  
Lots of people here use them. Firewood is not as readily available here, expensive to buy, so people use pellets.
Harman and Quadrafire are the two big names, which equal highest cost.
some of the Ace hardwares, TSC sell other brands, not sure what they are off the top of my head.

/ Pellet Stoves, Which to start with? #4  
IIRC Quadra Fire is made on the West Coast so is more popular here. Harman is made somewhere on the East Coast and is more popular there.

There seems to be at least some small manufactures scattered around. The key difference seems to be 1)appearance of product which is $$ related 2)longevity of brand for parts availability.

I find pellet heat to cost about 45% that of propane on a BTU to BTU basis.... but you do have to put some 'sweat equity' into the deal just like heating with wood.

As noted pellet availability and quality is the key issue with owning a pellet stove. Here in the Northwest we have really never had issues getting pellets as there are pellet plants scattered around the Northwest. Quality is another problem. I have had a range of results with 'premium' pellets. I don't know who is supposed to enforce the standards but I don't think they are doing their job. Generally the darker the pellet the worse the quality, at least here on the West Coast.

Would you also sell pellets? I generally go through 4-6 tons per winter depending on how harsh it is. If you are going to supply your stove customers the tonnage can add up quick, might help if you have a rail spur near by ;)

/ Pellet Stoves, Which to start with?
Ken
If the local market knows zero, what is the supply of pellets like? Also zero, or waiting for stoves?

Around here, the pellet stoves seem to be a fad...they buy them and use them for a winter or two then seem to become disenchanted for reasons I'm not sure.
Often complaints are maintenance, and supply of pellets. As to supply of pellets, they come in many qualities. Some have a lot of dirt that doesn't burn but adds a lot of ash. Getting known quality of pellet seems to be a mystery.

Some stoves burn corn. Might be another decision for you.

Is there a possibility that you could contact several mfg's and have their better model shipped to you for set-up and burning. Then decide which line to handle? Probably would require buying each one as they wouldn't want to provide them.

I am pretty sure we have a 1 county away, Amish supply pf pellets, They don't waste anything! I would like to be the supplier of the pellets as well. If I can narrow it down to 1 or 2 brands, I thought about putting them in operation at the shop for the customers to see in operation. Ken Sweet

/ Pellet Stoves, Which to start with? #6  
Having owned a Quadrafire, Vulcan, and Englander, the Englander gets the nod hands down. I was constantly replacing parts on the Quadrafire, The Vulcan didn't seem to throw off much heat, although I didn't use it that much. I heat my entire 2500 sq ft home all winter on 3 1/2 tons, it doesn't shut off from late October till Early May except for cleaning. And this unit is over 14 yrs old... :thumbsup: I would also HIGHLY recommend American Energy Systems Magnum ZC wood burning fireplace. It's a heating machine.

/ Pellet Stoves, Which to start with? #7  
id certainly look at the ones that burn corn/pellets

which is to say its first a corn stove that also burns pellets vs the other way around (there is a difference)

/ Pellet Stoves, Which to start with? #8  
We have had a Harman wood pellet stove in our home for over 5 years now and it has been flawless. It's easy to start, fill, and clean and is very classy looking. I don't know the price since it came with the house but it's definitely the most popular up here in the frigid winters of New England.

/ Pellet Stoves, Which to start with? #9  
I have Harman XXV, it's a great stove, totally automatic with a large ash pan that is good for about a ton of pellets.

/ Pellet Stoves, Which to start with?
I have a question for you guys. Do the insurance companies treat pellet stoves the same as wood burning stoves when they rate a homeowners policy? Ken Sweet