Registered mail delivery question-

/ Registered mail delivery question- #1  

Skyco

Elite Member
So I'm expecting a registered mail package from Singapore. Get an email notice that delivery was attempted. Sure enough there is a notice in the mailbox 100 ft from the front door. We were home and never heard the doorbell ring.
Reviewed the security cam footage and the lazy carrier never even got out of the truck to come to the door, which he could have come up the driveway to within 25 ft of the door. He simply slapped the notice on the box and went on:mad:

So the wife has to make a 10 mile trip the next day to get the package..she told the clerk at the counter the story and he said "not surprised happens all the time"...now I'm really steamed...no wonder people don't want to use the PO- I much prefer UPS or Fedex, wonder why?
I'm waiting to hear back from the PO as I filed a complaint- meanwhile does anyone know if they are required to actually make a delivery attempt before saying they did?

/ Registered mail delivery question- #2  
The guy should be reported to the local postmaster...but then you lend yourself to more problems if he decides to not deliver "some" of your mail in the future in revenge...the last thing you want is him "going postal" on you...

/ Registered mail delivery question- #3  
To the best of my knowledge, for rural deliveries, they are only required to go to the mail box. That's considered a delivery attempt.... Whenever we get registered, insured or any mail that requires a signature, we have to go to the PO with ID to sign for and claim it. That's about a 15 mile round trip for us. I'll be curious to see what comes of your complaint. Regards, Mike

/ Registered mail delivery question- #4  
Having had the same experience with USPS Rural Delivery I found out that the Rural Carrier Contract has a provision that they are "not required to dismount the vehicle". What is very interesting is that the local Postmaster did not know about this until I complained. The day in question it was a substitute driver from a different PO.

Jack

/ Registered mail delivery question- #5  
I think it depends on the class of route the carrier is on...here our carrier can do anything that can be done in the post office...the carrier is actually a mobile P.O....

our mailbox is probably 3/8 of a mile away from the cabin...but if there is a package that won't fit in the box or anything that requires a signature...the postman drives on back to us...

/ Registered mail delivery question- #6  
That's interesting because both out in the country on a rural route and now in town, but with a mailbox at the street so the carrier normally does not have to get out of his vehicle, our carriers come to the door anytime they need a signature or have a package too big to fit in the mailbox. Sounds like just a case of individual laziness.

/ Registered mail delivery question- #7  
In my area the PO will not drive on dirt roads, even if county maintained, except for a Special Delivery item. I always request UPS or FedEx when I order things.

USPS claim they only do "highway" delivery and your mailbox must be on a paved road no matter how far that is from your house.

Last time I checked, I'm paying the exact same postage as city dwellers.

/ Registered mail delivery question- #8  
Yes, individual laziness! I run a business out of the house and my regular driver bends over backwards to make the delivery.

Jack

/ Registered mail delivery question- #9  
Last time I checked, I'm paying the exact same postage as city dwellers.

But everything is always changing. Back in times long past, when I was a mail carrier, mailboxes were mounted on the wall just outside everyone's front door, or they had a mail slot in, or beside, the door. So we had to walk up to the door of each house. In a lot of older neighborhoods, they still do that. In my current neighborhood, each home has its own box at the street, but it's up to the homeowner to decide on the location; i.e., middle of the lot, one corner, next to the drive, etc. But in the neighborhood I lived in before I retired, boxes had to be paired so one stop by the carrier took care of two boxes. Now in the neighbohood just south of there, the Post Office installs one cluster of boxes for a city block, so you might have a short walk or a long walk to get your mail.

But down in the country, they asked me to fill out a little questionnaire when I first moved there, and one of the questions was if they had a package too big for the box, and there was no one home to accept it, did I want it returned to the post office and me pick it up there, or did I want it left somewhere on the property, and if so, where.

/ Registered mail delivery question- #10  
Individual laziness is hitting the nail on the head!! Around here they can't get there door open from it hitting on the ground. I don't think I want them to walk up to the house. They have to stay on gravel because they make deep foot prints. I have 3 pair of shoes that I pulled up that they left in my yard.