First Farm Animal Recommendation?

/ First Farm Animal Recommendation? #1  

arrabil

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 4200 & X475
I've always wanted to raise some kind of farm animal. Particularly chickens. Now that I live in the (more or less) country and have some land (couple acres), I'd like to start on that. Or rather start planning for doing it this next spring.

I'm not so sure about chickens anymore though. The neighbors on both sides have them. So I could trade something with them for their eggs if I had something else. Still, chickens are the front runner.

My neighbor also has rabbits. Seriously big rabbits. And tasty rabbits. Problem is they just stay in their cages and are kind of boring. Still, they're quite tasty.

I can't handle anything large. Something cheap and easy to take care of is obviously a plus. I don't mind milking something as I love milk but I couldn't handle having to milk something every morning at 5am.

Turkeys? Do you eat their eggs?

Are goats used for meat too or just milk?

Can you raise sheep just for meat? Is there sheep's milk?

Animals I'm not thinking of? Are there small pigs that don't cost $2000?

Thanks!

/ First Farm Animal Recommendation? #2  
you should be able to by shoat pigs for $15+...if you have a large garden they can be fed the waste from that...it cuts down on feed costs...

goats are good for keeping the fence lines weeded etc and can be like watch dogs...they aren't bad BBQ'ed either...!

if you just want an animal around consider a jenny or two...

/ First Farm Animal Recommendation? #3  
See interspersed:

I've always wanted to raise some kind of farm animal. Particularly chickens. Now that I live in the (more or less) country and have some land (couple acres), I'd like to start on that. Or rather start planning for doing it this next spring.

I'm not so sure about chickens anymore though. The neighbors on both sides have them. So I could trade something with them for their eggs if I had something else. Still, chickens are the front runner.

My neighbor also has rabbits. Seriously big rabbits. And tasty rabbits. Problem is they just stay in their cages and are kind of boring. Still, they're quite tasty.

I can't handle anything large. Something cheap and easy to take care of is obviously a plus. I don't mind milking something as I love milk but I couldn't handle having to milk something every morning at 5am.

Anything that you're going to milk will have to be done religously. Animals can't handle hit and miss milking.

Turkeys? Do you eat their eggs?

Not that I'm aware of.

Are goats used for meat too or just milk?

There are both milk and meat breeds.

Can you raise sheep just for meat? Is there sheep's milk?

I believe that sheep are raised mainly for either meat or wool. Never heard of anyone milking them. Doesn't mean it can't be done. Also, sheep need a lot of hands on time as they can revert to being fairly wild if not not handled regularly.

Animals I'm not thinking of? Are there small pigs that don't cost $2000?

There are some fairly nice looking types of ornimental ducks, geese, and phesants. Llamas and Alpacas can be fun to have. If you're not worried about staying with normal farm animals, there are quite a few exotics which are very nice.

I guess it mostly depends if you're looking for pets or production (meat, eggs, etc.).

Thanks!

/ First Farm Animal Recommendation?
Cyril, definitely not looking for pets. Some kind of food production. Food production means eggs, meat, and/or milk, right? Or is there something else that hasn't occurred to me? Production just needs to be fun/enjoyable. It can and likely will be a money losing proposition.

So milk is out then. I can't ask my neighbor to milk my animals while I'm on vacation. Feed, yes. Milk, no.

Llamas and alpacas are too big. And alpacas cost more than any of my vehicles!

What does one do with ducks, geese, and pheasants? Just meat then? If ducks and geese need a pond, they're out.

What do you think of little piggies?

I like the idea of having eggs and meat. Is there something other than chickens and ostrich that fit that?

Can you name some exotics?

/ First Farm Animal Recommendation? #5  
What do you think of little piggies?

unless you have have some feed crops or you have access to restaurant garbage etc...to help supplement the cost of feed...you are better off buying pork from a market...

if you have enough room to grow corn...in a couple of years you can make hog farming worthwhile...as both a meat and cash producing venture

/ First Farm Animal Recommendation? #6  
Guinea hens. As soon as we move to our acreage I'm going to get a metric ton of guineas. Right now we are in a very restrictive subdivision, so we are raising ninja chickens.

Some time in the future I'd like to get a couple sheep. And yes, they do milk sheep. My favorite cheese in the world is made from sheep milk (Pecorino di Pienza).

I'd stay away from little piggies, because they don't stay little for long. :)

/ First Farm Animal Recommendation?
I've been reading about quail the last half hour. I like quail eggs and they take up less space than chickens. Need to learn more about them.....

/ First Farm Animal Recommendation? #8  
Guinea hens...

nobody will ever sneak up on your place if you have guineas...they make better watch dogs than dogs...

BUT...they will also pull up every plant/flower you have in your yard...!

/ First Farm Animal Recommendation? #9  
You need a cat.... keeps little critters such as mice and rats down... and they WILL find any feed you keep around for any other animals.

Chickens... both eggs and meat...interesting activity....can be caged or let them run about, or both. These would be my first animal. Small, can be handled/caught with reasonable strength and skill. Set up a place for the hen to nest and raise a brood. Little chicks are cute to watch. Chickens are a pain to pluck, but if you scald the feathers, they come off easily.

I recommend chickens..you can learn things from your neighbors and this is important since you are new to this. There are many, many, many kinds of chickens.... you will learn much studying up on them...meat breeds, egg layers, fancy feathers, green egg shells, amazing stuff....

Watch Craig's List...often people, particularly around Easter, get chicks and bunnies but then they grow up and people want to get rid of them...for free...you could get your start there, breed these, and see what happens,

"Spanish goats" ...those with long ears, various colors, big bags, etc. would be my next path. These are a combined milk and meat animal. Very often the does will have twins or triplets.... a couple of times a year...so, productivity of offspring is high. Goats will quickly learn to follow you around..into pens, etc...I would leave the horns on the does...they make good handles...take them off of the Billy...they are larger, stronger, can be a safety problem made more dangerous with horns. Fear not about the milking situation... you can milk the goat or not.... young kids cannot take all the milk the nanny will produce...so if you take some, it does not matter. Yet, when you go on vacation, the kids will take all the milk...so, no health problem presented at vacation time. Management is the key... put kids in pen away from nanny at night.... milk her some in the morning, then let the kids nurse her dry, then separate them for the day...repeat at night. There is NOTHING cuter than a baby goat.... trust me. You will need some fencing to keep the goats at home and not visiting the neighbors too frequently.

You can make a milking table....the goat will learn to jump up on it, presenting the bag at exactly the right height for you to milk... better for your back....Lots of flexibility with goats...they eat a wide range of browse or store bought grain...... your choice....they eat well...called cabrito in spanish... a delicacy

Pigs..stink...I would NOT suggest you mess with them.

Rabbits are quiet and productive.... eat good....easy to skin and clean. Again, recommended because you can learn from neighbors.

Am glad you are NOT wanting to make pets of your animals...they are for food and fiber only....agreed....if you are not familiar with slaughter techniques, best you find out about them... no matter what animals you select, there will be blood, etc. involved with slaughter and cleaning and preparing for the table...but not too hard to learn or do once you gain a little experience.

Stay far, far away from anything exotic... emus, llamas, etc.... stick with small and easy to handle and house and care for...and inexpensive...On two acres, you do NOT have room for cows, horses, mules, donkeys, anything large.

I suggest that unless your property is very productive you start off with no more than 4 nanny goats...if you can find somebody with a buck you can borrow from time to time..GREAT...they are large, stink, can become somewhat difficult to handle.

Slash Pine is right about guinea hens...watch dogs and broad foragers. Meat and eggs.

Quail, IMHO, are temperamental to raise. Various problems need to be understood to be successful...of the animals mentioned so far, these would require the most cleverness and attention on your part. Best you get good at chickens and rabbits first, then graduate to quail. That said, quail is my favorite bird meat and right up there with shrimp IMHO.

Last edited:
   / First Farm Animal Recommendation? #10  
chickens.

start with a laying flock (bonus points if you free range them but expect about a 25-50% loss rate per year)

move to broilers in pasture pens

add meat goats or meat sheep (lamb) after that.

save the piggies and cows for guys down the road.