No yellow jackets here this year

/ No yellow jackets here this year #11  
We don't normally have a lot of yellow jackets here but we do normally have a lot of paper wasps. This year they are almost non-existent. We had a pretty good cold snap last Fall/Winter and a cool, wet spring. I guess one or both killed off a lot of the queens.

/ No yellow jackets here this year #12  
Very few yellow jackets here this year, haven't seen any nests. Wasps are down too. I usually have a good colony of paper wasps by now building nests on my gable-end vent screens.

Lots of bumblebees now and what I think are native honey bees, little hairer and darker colored than Euro honey bees, but close to the same size. They are feeding on the tomato, squash and pumpkin blossoms now.

We had a very mild winter and warm, dry summer.
Dave.

/ No yellow jackets here this year #13  
Yellow jackets are down this year but those SOB bald-face hornets seem to be up.

Got 3 decent sized nests on my small 1 acre so far.

/ No yellow jackets here this year #14  
I just avoid the areas where I've been hit in the past, so I don't know if they are there are not.

Like TnWV, my problem has been bushogging a steep hillside. I mowed it in May and won't go back until next year, LOL. Getting hit twice in one day by a dozen each time encourages me to leave them alone :confused2:

Ken