Baby Pig. Now What?

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Baby Pig. Now What? #11  
Make a Geico commercial. . . "Wee! Wee! Wee! all the way home!":laughing:

EDIT: . . . and you can't hide anything. Look what else followed you home. (see attachment)

Attachments

• followhome.jpg
    followhome.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 2,908
Last edited:
   / Baby Pig. Now What? #12  
It's gonna get big fast. My youngest daughter got a pair of piglets a few years ago - I had no experience with them. I had to enlarge thier pen twice and they nearly destroyed that. After about 8 months I said it's time for BBQ and she balked. I offered her $1/pound and she said 'SOLD!' **** things ended up costing me $500 PLUS feed but good ribs!

/ Baby Pig. Now What? #15  

Attachments

• Pig-Riding-Bicycle-Animation-1.20692103_std.gif
    Pig-Riding-Bicycle-Animation-1.20692103_std.gif
    129.2 KB · Views: 6,369
   / Baby Pig. Now What? #17  
Eat him. I'm sure pigs make good pets, but I'm also sure they make even better sausage. I've raised two sets of pigs in my life, and it's been worth it. All I can say is make yourself a good, sturdy pen. Alcatraz couldn't keep a pig locked up. Make friends with the produce manager at your local grocery store. Get scrap and surplus feed wherever you can find it. Feed him good corn or a finisher ration for the last three weeks or so and then send him off to the butcher.

You got a good find, there. Weaner pigs are worth $75 to $100 each in this area.

/ Baby Pig. Now What? #18  
Eat him. I'm sure pigs make good pets, but I'm also sure they make even better sausage. I've raised two sets of pigs in my life, and it's been worth it. All I can say is make yourself a good, sturdy pen. Alcatraz couldn't keep a pig locked up. Make friends with the produce manager at your local grocery store. Get scrap and surplus feed wherever you can find it. Feed him good corn or a finisher ration for the last three weeks or so and then send him off to the butcher.

You got a good find, there. Weaner pigs are worth $75 to $100 each in this area.

Pigs must be worth more than here. Butcher weight hogs are only ~$150 here.

I agree though, pigs make much better sausage than pets.

/ Baby Pig. Now What?
Jim, You're eye is very good. I had a heck of a day yesterday and will update the other thread with pics this weekend. I'm running extremly late for two different jobs that I'm supposed to be working on for clients today, and instead, I spent the morning building a pen for the pig with scrap stuff I had laying around.

I found ten feet of chicken wire and a metal wire panel in my scrap pile. I went through my wood and found some pieces of half inch plywood that were 22 inches wide. So with my Dad's help, we put in some bent up, broken t posts, stretched the chicken wire and cut the plywood to size. It's about as simple and basic as it can get!!!!

As you can see from the pictures, my cat, Luna, is either extremly curious, or wanting to make friends. My mom thinks Luna wants to eat the piglet, but I'm not so sure.

Dad is off to Walmart to get some whole milk and a baby bottle. For now, we're gonna keep it as a pet. It's totaly calmed down today and is easily handled, seems to enjoy attention and being petted.

Now I'm wondering how do you castrate an animal like a pig? and when do you do it? It's a he, but there's really nothing there to get ahold of. Any thoughts, suggestions or links that explain it to a guy who has never done anything like that, and never wanted to?

The part about country living that I really never thought about was just never knowing what will happen next out here!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks,
Eddie

Attachments

• 913781.jpg
    913781.jpg
    987.9 KB · Views: 1,731
  • 913841.jpg
    913841.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1,040
  • 913861.jpg
    913861.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1,133
  • 913871.jpg
    913871.jpg
    735.5 KB · Views: 28,163
   / Baby Pig. Now What? #20  
FWIW...
I was told long ago that for the healthiest pigs they should not be raised on dirt floors...not sure how factual this is...

Status
Not open for further replies.