Baby Pig. Now What?

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Baby Pig. Now What? #31  
Pigs must be worth more than here. Butcher weight hogs are only ~$150 here.

I agree though, pigs make much better sausage than pets.

$150 is about right for a butcher weight pig around here too. There's not much profit in it. The only times I've raised pigs are when I've had free feed... Someone's food storage gets weevil, Combine misses the truck, big overrun or other surplus at the food plant where I work.

/ Baby Pig. Now What?
Turns out milk wasn't much of a success, nor was the bottle. He would take some if you forced it on him, but mostly, he wasn't interested. My brother suggested opening a can of corn and squishing it up. He really went after that!!!

Now that he has a full belly, I'm going to see what Atwoods and Tractor Supply have for baby pigs.

I'm also working on names for him. Rover and Fido are two that I like, but my Mom likes Patches. I want a name that makes you think of a dog. When I talk about my pet, and use his name, I want people to think I'm talking about a dog. Any suggestions? :D

Thank you for the link on castrating him. It's kind of intimidating. I might have to take some time to wrap my brain around the whole thing. In what I've read, it's to make the meat taste better. That's not a concern. What I'm wanting is to calm him down, or make him more docile. Will castrating him do that?

Thank you
Eddie

Attachments

• 913622.JPG
    913622.JPG
    403.8 KB · Views: 2,418
  • 913682.jpg
    913682.jpg
    547.8 KB · Views: 838
  • 913702.jpg
    913702.jpg
    620.2 KB · Views: 7,360
  • 913752.jpg
    913752.jpg
    687.6 KB · Views: 1,059
   / Baby Pig. Now What? #33  

I'm also working on names for him. Rover and Fido are two that I like, but my Mom likes Patches. I want a name that makes you think of a dog. When I talk about my pet, and use his name, I want people to think I'm talking about a dog. Any suggestions? :D

Thank you
Eddie

Where's Muhammad? We need a TBN name that pig contest.:laughing:

/ Baby Pig. Now What? #36  
Ha ha ha. I vote for spot.

I hate to say it Eddie, but find somebody else to raise him or take him off your hands. You won't want to keep it forever, but the work to pen and raise it to eat isn't worth it when you can hunt them on your land any time. And for sure he has to be castrated before he gets dangerous.

He's awful cute I gotta say.

/ Baby Pig. Now What? #37  
Can u say "leachon". Roasted baby pig, the cheeks taste the best!

mark

/ Baby Pig. Now What? #39  

Top 100 Dog Names

I like "Buster".

It would also be fun to find a dual purpose name in case you change your mind about what you do with him... Pepper, Honey, Smokey. Just about anything that sounds good if you put "Ham" after it. I also thought of Sam the Ham.

/ Baby Pig. Now What? #40  
While you can still carry 'Spot' around easily, take him to a large animal vet and have him castrated. It's just two slits and pop out the undeveloped testicles at this point. Spot will forget about it in a day or two. If it is botched, Spot could have a hernia hanging down below his belly in the future. Not good for a pet pig who has to look presentable to your lady friends :laughing: Hmmm, are pet pigs babe magnets?
:p:D:laughing:
Dave.

Status
Not open for further replies.