Bull-chasing in the woods...

/ Bull-chasing in the woods... #1  

wjoerob

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota 6100
So we borrowed a bull for stud with our Highland cow. Moving them from one pasture to another, and he escapes into the woods. Long story short, we chased him around for 4 days. This guy is not very big, but crafty -- he would double back, let you get just so close & then run. He was killing me, in woods full of stickers & briars. Finally called in a couple of guys who did roping at the county fair. One got a lasso on him in the woods, and we had to use a '47 Oliver tractor to DRAG him the half-mile home. Woolly Bully fought it all the way, digging in his front hooves. Even on the road, his feet were sliding on the pavement. All said they'd never seen one fight like that before. Wish I'd taken some pix, it was a sight to behold!

/ Bull-chasing in the woods... #3  
Got a feeling it's going to take more than a fence to hold Woolly Bully and you are going to do it all over again. Once an animal becomes wild & crazy like him, a fence is a mere inconvenience.

/ Bull-chasing in the woods... #4  
+1 on rekees comment. Had neighbors cattle go wild and the only cure was a 12 gauge slug. Sure looked good in the freezer compared to our corn fields.

best of luck with wooly bully

Roy

/ Bull-chasing in the woods... #5  
I realize it's not your call, but that bull need to grow wheels, and soon. No sense in having an animal like that around. Your vet can come out and AI your cow and you won't have to chase him around. :D

/ Bull-chasing in the woods... #6  
But it i not his bull, once the f@#$ing is done, he just hands him over.

/ Bull-chasing in the woods... #7  
Highlander stud bull? Been there done that except it hid in the neighbors prize holstein herd and would duck down so you could not see him. Finally got a lassoo on and tied him off to a 3 sided shed with telephone pole sized supports. He almost pulled the shed down. He did not hold a grudge, i think he got what he wanted!!

/ Bull-chasing in the woods... #8  
Farm I work on had bull and that SOB had attitude make you want to get gun,but hand drops of grain to pen w/gain pail waiting was he's weak point.

If that bull escape once plan on another.

/ Bull-chasing in the woods... #9  
Farm I work on had bull and that SOB had attitude make you want to get gun,but hand drops of grain to pen w/gain pail waiting was he's weak point.

If that bull escape once plan on another.

Grain pails sometimes do work well. Got quite few animals back in the pasture that way. But, a bull can get a little excited. Hang a chain around his neck, leave a foot or so hanging, he gets close to electric fence..... But, this isn't your animal...Good Luck