Possum getting away

/ Possum getting away #1  

tallyho8

Elite Member
Who Dat Nation west of Westwego east of Ama south
Tractor
Kubota L4400, Kubota ZD326
Since our chickens starting disappearing I have been trapping and night hunting to find/get the culprits.

I have trapped a couple of possum fairly easy and then I keep missing this one who always manages to eat the bait without tripping the trap.

I figured that he wasn't stepping on the foot pedal hard enough to spring the trap so I wired the bait to the top of the trap switch so that when he pulled on the bail it would trip.

Still no possum. Possum photos every night and he eats all the bait every night at different times but never trips the trap.

I have lubed the trap and set it where the slightest touch will set it off but the possum still fails to trip it.

I never see him at night when I go looking for him so I can't shoot him.

What now?

Attachments

• possumJPG.jpg
    possumJPG.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 368
   / Possum getting away #2  
This has always worked for me...

...get a 20 gallon metal garbage can and grease the inside walls...put a can of dog food in the bottom of the can and lean a board up (ramp) to the edge...

/ Possum getting away #3  
We have both a mink and raccoon trap that looks like yours. Found we had to have one end closed and we had to wire the bait close to the closed end, this way they had to reach over and hopefully step on the trip lever inside. Hope this helps.

/ Possum getting away #4  
How about a snare.... I've caught possum's with them as well. Only down side is colatteral damage, but looks like he's a regular and your camera tells you if other critters are also visiting the area.

/ Possum getting away #5  
I say it's time for a new trap.:mad: Mine catches possums and cats very well. I bought a set, large/small, at Tractor Supply and they work great. I put the bait all the way in the back and when they step on the trip platform, BANG! They are mine!:laughing:

/ Possum getting away #6  
Get a 220 conibear. Place it at the entrance to your existing trap.

/ Possum getting away #8  
This garbage can trick is the best bet. You don't even have to grease the sides, possums don't/can't jump so if you have a shiney can he's caught and a cat or dog can get right out. A smelly bait works best, try sardines. They work well for the cage traps too. Just punch a few little holes so teh oil comes out and wire the can to the trigger. Po-Sam will forget to be slick when he's licking the goody.

/ Possum getting away #9  
How are they getting your chickens, are they not fully enclosed? If not, there is the reason. You kill one opossum, another will replace it, an so on.

/ Possum getting away #10  
tallyho8, put the bait UNDER the trap. That way he will smell it and know it's there but will have to work to get it and should trip the trap. Might be a good idea to pin the trap down with some tent stakes so he can't turn it over to get the bait.

I have a trap like that and it hasn't worked well since a big 'coon stayed the night in it and bent up the trip rod trying to find a way out. I put the bait under the trap now and it works better.