Hand held GPS

/ Hand held GPS #1  

chipsndust

Platinum Member
Tractor
JD 1025R, Curtis cab
Thinking about getting one. We have a Garmin in the car, which I like.

I'd like a handheld to take hiking, kayaking, and in my XUV.

Anybody have one they really like?

/ Hand held GPS #2  
Lots of choices for GPS's out there....

I started out with Magellan's at first but have grown to love the Garmin's....

The Garmin Astro I use exclusively now because it's use is for the Dog Tracking with my beagles.......

Magellan's menu screens were easier for me to figure out when I first started out but Garmin (and others) have seemed to have a lot more different models to choose from.....

Just make sure you get a GPS that has capability of built-in topo maps......Color screen is nice too.....another must for me is the batteries have to be interchangeable with my flashlight and 2-way radios (size AA)that way you'll likely never have need for batteries when needed most......:thumbsup:

/ Hand held GPS #3  
I just bought a Garmin Oregon 450, touch screen, waterproof, able to download maps to it, waypoints, compass, accept micro SD chip...Runs on 2AA batteries. So far I've been very pleased with it. REI had it on sale for $249 a week ago (might still be on sale)

/ Hand held GPS #5  
Garmin is the way to is all I can tell you they all are good and made in KS another plus its made in USA.

I have a Garmin 3plus gps its old old school as far as gps goes now and its still got more stuff than I will ever use I still love it!

Its only a matter of 3 months before the next model comes out so buy the biggest baddest one now and have the features you need later on jmho.

/ Hand held GPS #6  
In my last career in outdoor retail I sold GPS'. We arried Garmin, Magellan and Lorance. All make good quality products but the Garmins are the clear leader in the field. They are the most intuitive to use, rugged and reliable.
I have a Garmin ETrex Legend, an older model but I love it. Were I to replace it any time soon I'd be seriously looking at the Garmin GPSMAP 62s .

/ Hand held GPS #7  
I really like my Garmin etrex Venture HC. Colour screen is readable in daylight. Lots of handy features and the companion PC software is OK too. I use it mostly for ice fishing, although I'm happy with it for boating and back country trips.
Base maps are quite spartan when it comes to detail. Upgraded maps make a big difference.

/ Hand held GPS #8  
Anybody familiar with the Garmin GPSMAPS 60?

I have the 60CSx and love it. It has what the 60 has plus color, barometric altimeter and the sensitive receiver. I use it on my dirt bike in the mountains and desert and I have never lost signal. It gets a ton of hammering and vibration and takes it all without missing a beat.

In the desert I trace out trails in Google Earth, download them as tracks to my GPS and then go ride them. Great way to navigate to exact areas. I also download the tracks back to my PC so I have accurate trail maps.

You do need Topo map software to make it useful though. City maps if you want to use it on the street. The screen isn't quite large enough for street navigation but it will beep at you when you need to turn.

/ Hand held GPS #9  
I have a Tomtom and its a good and accurate unit, but they kill you on the map updates. i would not buy another just for that reason

/ Hand held GPS #10  
I have a Garmin 60CSX also. I purchased specifically it for it's quick satellite aquisition, ability to see the screen in bright daylight (color), and it's ability to pick up satellites under a thick forest canopy. It's one of the best rated units for these functions. I use it for hunting, fishing, and also have a handle bar mount for it on my Polaris Sportsman. It's a very rugged and extremely trustworthy unit. Mine hasn't been abused but it's been dropped, soaked in rain, bounced around, and just plain used. I have fishing and hunting hot spots marked on it that are over 500 miles away. Year after year it takes me back to them within just a few feet. I don't have mapping software but I do have software to link it to my PC. I also Google Earth places of interest, boat ramps, etc., on my PC and then download them to the 60CSX before I go there. The Google thing does work very well.