Practical tips

/ Practical tips #1  

Richard

Elite Member
Tractor
International 1066 Full sized JCB Loader/Backhoe and a John Deere 430 to mow with
a long long time ago there was a thread with some simple tips. I put one in there and it seems someone really liked it (I thought it was pretty simple)

Heading into cooler months I thought I'd mention it again.

Chainsaw bar oil: I buy a gallon jug. When I unscrew the top, I do NOT then pull off the seal on the spout. Rather, I take a screwdriver and simply punch a hole in the cover. now, I have a VERY controlled flow coming out of this little 1/4" hole rather than always overflowing my saw with oil. Yes, it takes longer to fill my saw but if you saw how often I used to coat my saw with oil you would see why I now do it this way.

Roundup: I have some containers of that (maybe 1/2 gallon in size?) and like the chainsaw oil, I punch a hole in the cover so I don't have the liquid coming out too fast.

Hearing protection: I have some of those Proear muffs (something like 29 db reduction?) In addition to using those, I have an Ipod with me and the ear piece for the Ipod alone helps knock out a lot of noise. I put the Proears over the IEM's and makes it even more quiet. I do not use the original Apple ear pieces, I bought some nicer ones with ear wire wrap from Klipsch. (Custom 3's which are now discontinued...but sound fantastic)

Feel free to add your own.

/ Practical tips #2  
I have several but only a couple come to mind because I just used them; and everyone most likely already knows about them.

When drilling into concrete floor or wall for bolts that do not have the inserts. If the hole becomes too big for the bolt/lag then fill the hole with steel wool before screwing in the bolt. It will hold it very well.

You can also wrap aluminum foil around a machined bolt to help bind. I used this for a pot lid last night that the handle would not hold to the bolt.

I always use soap on wood screws or lag screws when needed with wood to easy assembly.

/ Practical tips #3  
You can also wrap aluminum foil around a machined bolt to help bind

Hmm, aluminum and steel combined properly can do some strange things!:D:D

/ Practical tips #4  
...want faster flow out of gas or diesel jugs... drill the air vent hole larger! Works every time.

/ Practical tips #5  
a long long time ago there was a thread with some simple tips. I put one in there and it seems someone really liked it (I thought it was pretty simple)

Heading into cooler months I thought I'd mention it again.

Chainsaw bar oil: I buy a gallon jug. When I unscrew the top, I do NOT then pull off the seal on the spout. Rather, I take a screwdriver and simply punch a hole in the cover. now, I have a VERY controlled flow coming out of this little 1/4" hole rather than always overflowing my saw with oil. Yes, it takes longer to fill my saw but if you saw how often I used to coat my saw with oil you would see why I now do it this way.

Roundup: I have some containers of that (maybe 1/2 gallon in size?) and like the chainsaw oil, I punch a hole in the cover so I don't have the liquid coming out too fast.

Hearing protection: I have some of those Proear muffs (something like 29 db reduction?) In addition to using those, I have an Ipod with me and the ear piece for the Ipod alone helps knock out a lot of noise. I put the Proears over the IEM's and makes it even more quiet. I do not use the original Apple ear pieces, I bought some nicer ones with ear wire wrap from Klipsch. (Custom 3's which are now discontinued...but sound fantastic)

Feel free to add your own.
You have to be careful with punching foil seals so that a small piece of foil does not get into the tank you are filling. I use these on my bar oil jugs. They have several adapters to fit different threads and you can twist it to adjust the flow or shut it off all the way. They are about ten bucks for the kit. I removed the clear hose and just use the nozzle.

Hopkins FloTool 10105 Spill Saver Gas Can Spout

Attachments

• 41AXZWWKV8L._SS400_.jpg
    41AXZWWKV8L._SS400_.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 86
   / Practical tips #6  
For stripped out lag bolts in wood you can put some wooden toothpicks and some wood glue into the hole, then put the lag bolt back in and tighten it down. It works pretty well. Just don't put in so many that you split the wood. :thumbsup:

/ Practical tips #7  
MossRoad said:
For stripped out lag bolts in wood you can put some wooden toothpicks and some wood glue into the hole, then put the lag bolt back in and tighten it down. It works pretty well. Just don't put in so many that you split the wood. :thumbsup:

Ah that old trick. :))). Works well on any screw into wood. Used it most often when rehanging doors.