How did you fix the crack in your driveway?

/ How did you fix the crack in your driveway? #1  

sweettractors

Advertiser
Tractor
JD 6403 CHA-JD 3130 CHA
I have a blacktop driveway that has been down about 23 years. For 21 of those years, I have a crack that opens up in the cold weather of winter to about 3/8 wide. In the summer it closes back up to maybe 1/8 inch. The drive was properly prepared before laying the initial asphalt. I don't think the bed/base is the problem. It seems the soil just expands and contracts due to temperature. Has anyone had a similar problem and what did you do to fix it? Ken Sweet

/ How did you fix the crack in your driveway? #2  
I have a blacktop driveway that has been down about 23 years. For 21 of those years, I have a crack that opens up in the cold weather of winter to about 3/8 wide. In the summer it closes back up to maybe 1/8 inch. The drive was properly prepared before laying the initial asphalt. I don't think the bed/base is the problem. It seems the soil just expands and contracts due to temperature. Has anyone had a similar problem and what did you do to fix it? Ken Sweet

Ken, I have a blacktop driveway 1/4 mile long as my driveway into my farm..It has been down since 1988 so that is 22 yrs. and it has held up well , we sealed it 6 mos. after it was installed and then again about 10 yrs. ago..I had one crack on the pad by my garage and I went to either Lowes or HD and bought several tubes of asphalt and put them in my caulking gun and repaired the crack and it has been a few years and no further problems..the tubes are just like caulk but they contain asphalt...

/ How did you fix the crack in your driveway? #3  
You can buy a "crack sealer" from the box stores that should help you.

Key is clean out the crack from all loose dust, dirt, weeds and make sure it's dry.

We use a big heat pot for our commercial jobs similar to what a roofer would use, but for your personal drive I would try the box store cold sealer and follow the directions, very simple.

If you don't already, also buy some asphalt sealer and role it on, probably not as good as we use but for home use it will add longevity to your drive..

/ How did you fix the crack in your driveway? #4  
It's only open in cold weather?

Use some of the more expensive sealer in a tube, heat the crack with a tiger torch, remove all debris and loose stuff, heat again and apply sealer.:thumbsup:

/ How did you fix the crack in your driveway?
It's only open in cold weather?

Use some of the more expensive sealer in a tube, heat the crack with a tiger torch, remove all debris and loose stuff, heat again and apply sealer.:thumbsup:

Fully open in cold weather. I have sealed it in the summer when the crack is narrow and of course, in the winter it opens back up. I am worried that water is eventually going to get under the bed and cause more problems. If I could put the crack sealer in during cold weather, I could fill the crack at its worst. However, Hard to get me or the crack filler out there in the winter. Burr :D Ken Sweet

/ How did you fix the crack in your driveway? #7  
It sounds like mine. My drive is about 600 foot long asphalt, and as you figured out, it made its own expansion joint. Mine has about 3 of them. I fill mine in, and within a year, it has expanded and contracted enought to open back up. I've used a patch mix, which is more or less store bought cold patch. This seems to work the best but it still works its way out over time. I've also poured the liquid filler in over the cold patch, and that helps a little.

/ How did you fix the crack in your driveway? #8  
try to find a good asphalt maintenance co. they can come out in the winter and put a hot tar band over it. it would basically be melted rubber and asphalt. it will flow down into the joint and bond the 2 sides together.

/ How did you fix the crack in your driveway? #9  
Fully open in cold weather. I have sealed it in the summer when the crack is narrow and of course, in the winter it opens back up. I am worried that water is eventually going to get under the bed and cause more problems. If I could put the crack sealer in during cold weather, I could fill the crack at its worst. However, Hard to get me or the crack filler out there in the winter. Burr :D Ken Sweet

There are rubberized sealers available that might flex with your driveway. The hot sealer will do a better job, but you have to heat it to pour it.

Hot Pour Crack Fill

I think I would sacrifice a canning kettle and a cheap propane hot plate, and use the hot pour crack sealer. Like any paint job, prep is your friend. Scrape and pressure wash to get all the foreign stuff out of the crack, then use a propane wand to heat the edges before pouring the patch.

/ How did you fix the crack in your driveway?
There are rubberized sealers available that might flex with your driveway. The hot sealer will do a better job, but you have to heat it to pour it.

Hot Pour Crack Fill

I think I would sacrifice a canning kettle and a cheap propane hot plate, and use the hot pour crack sealer. Like any paint job, prep is your friend. Scrape and pressure wash to get all the foreign stuff out of the crack, then use a propane wand to heat the edges before pouring the patch.

Larry, That looks like a possibility. Ken Sweet