planting timothy spreader setting??

/ planting timothy spreader setting?? #1  

rilesdav

Bronze Member
Tractor
Branson 6530c and Kubota BX25D
Hello,
I am going to be planting timothy hay on 1 acre of area that was just cleared and prepared for seeding. I have an Earthway spreader and was told I need 18lbs of seed per acre. I did some calculations and determined I would be on setting #4. A setting of #4 barely has the holes open. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I could mix the seed with as a carrier to allow me to use a higher setting and have the seed spread more easily.
Thanks
Dave

/ planting timothy spreader setting?? #2  
Sand? A starter fertilizer?

/ planting timothy spreader setting?? #3  
Hello,
I am going to be planting timothy hay on 1 acre of area that was just cleared and prepared for seeding. I have an Earthway spreader and was told I need 18lbs of seed per acre. I did some calculations and determined I would be on setting #4. A setting of #4 barely has the holes open. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I could mix the seed with as a carrier to allow me to use a higher setting and have the seed spread more easily.
Thanks
Dave

What ever setting, the book calls for, I always cut it in half and double cover. This way, I don't run out of seed before I get over the field. Ken Sweet

/ planting timothy spreader setting?? #4  
Hello,
Thanks
Dave

A push type spreader?

If that is the case you are going to want it going on pretty slow because an acre is a lot of area to cover with 18 pounds of seed.

/ planting timothy spreader setting??
Yes, push type spreader, a suggestion I got from the spreader company was limestone. Any thoughts?