Stump Grinder (Vermeer SC130)

/ Stump Grinder (Vermeer SC130) #1  

legbuh

Silver Member
Hey all!

I have been clearing my lot of overgrown trees and shrubs for a few years and would like to tackle some stumps.

I found a Vermeer SC130 walk behind on CL for about 2k. It's about 3 years old and in "great" shape.

From all the reading I've been doing on them, they seem to work ok for smaller stuff, but give you a workout when using. I'm not opposed to that, but I also don't want to get done with 5 stumps and tire out.

Anyone have any practical experience with this machine? There are a couple others for about the same price.. a bluebird and a dosko. Similar setup with a 13hp motor. But I can't find anything on those lines.

I have found this vermeer is really just a rebranded praxis model, though. But I've never had problems with honda motors (which it has).

I'd say I have in total about 50-80 stumps right now to grind. Mostly in the 8-10" range. I have a couple larger ones too. They're all about 2-3 years old and only a couple inches above ground.

Thanks for any insight.

PS, I don't want to rent... I'd rather buy since I can then do it at my lesiure and I will have more come fall when I start felling more trees/overgrown shrubs.

/ Stump Grinder (Vermeer SC130) #2  
I THINK, because i haven't directly used this grinder that it will do well. Now 8-10 inches are easy stumps IMO, when I have rented grinders, it has been for 2' stumps. I think that it MAY wear you out anyway, wrestling them things around isn't easy; but it the best option. I would LOVE to have that unit. Like having a small chainsaw, not something you want for the bigstuff, but will do fine on the little stuff.

/ Stump Grinder (Vermeer SC130) #3  
I have rented stump grinders numerous times. the first time i rented a walk behind similar to that vemeer. It is okay, but it totally kicks your rear. I would pick it up late Fri, and have it all weekend. I would grind about 20 to 30 stumps and it would take ALL weekend, and it would completely wear me out. The last few times I have rented the full hydraulic units. These things are great. I can do the same amount of work in 4 to 6 hours. I think you could rent a full hydraulic unit and completely finish your job in a weekend and only cost $250 or so.
Food for thought, and good luck, Dave

/ Stump Grinder (Vermeer SC130) #4  
I've used the Bluebird one before. All I can say is, be sure the carbide cutters are sharp, and that you have a source of spares.

We ground 3 smaller stumps 8-10 inch maple, and one big bast***, 5 stumps from one central one. It took us all day, nearly killed us AND the grinder, and produced 7 wheelbarrow loads of chips. The cutters were dull, some had the carbide missing. According to Home Dumpot, this is normal condition. Yeah.. right.

I'd seek professional help.. :laughing:

Sean

/ Stump Grinder (Vermeer SC130) #5  
they dont seem very complicated....

ive seen a used one popup on CL over the past few years.... price is usually 2-3K

Worksaver 3-Pt Mounted Stump Grinder, 26" Cut'g Wheel!! - eBay (item 330349655290 end time Sep-27-10 10:11:54 PDT)

d1_1.JPG

/ Stump Grinder (Vermeer SC130) #6  
You dont say where your from....or if these are hardwood or softwood stumps....or if you have a tractor to mount a grinder to.

In the past two years I have rented two self propelled grinders to eliminate about 600 stumps....all pine and all from 8 to 14" diameter or so.

I am tired of renting too (bad teeth, a few break-down issues, and the need to do things at MY leisure....as you point out).

I just purchased a Woods TSG50 to fit on my 3 point. It cost me $3500. plus tax.....NEW from the dealer. I am still waiting for delivery...but from what I have read this Woods or the Worksaver pic above would get my vote.

The Woods (at $3500 has the Sandvick cutter teeth and wheel....and a FIVE year warranty on the gear box and such....so these are a GREAT deal IMO. (All you hear about the Sandvick wheel and teeth are GLOWING reports. Same goes for the Woods brand....they don't make bad stuff.)

The self-propelled route or the tractor mounted grinders wont kick your butt like the walkies.....IMHO. And....judging from what I have seen.....you would not have any problems selling em again when you are thru.

BTW....fill out your profile!! It would be LOTS easier to give advice to you if your location and tractor or equipment used were known.

/ Stump Grinder (Vermeer SC130) #7  
What if instead, you rented a backhoe? Might be far more fun than wrestling a grinder, you can make sure to get the entire stump out.

You might even be able to 'pop' a stump out without much digging (depending on the stump and tree type)

In case that is confusing.... I can sometimes go to a stump and put the hoe bucket to it. Upon "pulling" the bucket towards me above ground, the stumps will sometimes simply rock out of their position and pop up.

I'm not suggesting they all do this. I've also had a stump where I spent three hours on it digging away (was my first ever stump and I had no idea of how to do it).

Now, I could probably take a 30" oak tree stump out in maybe 30 minutes as long as I don't have other trees or sidewalk nearby that I need to be aware of.

You might catch the backhoe bug and decide it's more fun than you can stand!!

:thumbsup:

Edit: I'm referring to an industrial backhoe not a Terramite or something small

/ Stump Grinder (Vermeer SC130) #8  
What if instead, you rented a backhoe?

My woods 7500 backhoe (3pt) cost me 3K off of CL. So the same money as 3pt mounted stump grinder and certainly comes with many more uses.

/ Stump Grinder (Vermeer SC130) #9  
Have you guys ever dug out 600 stumps? (Or, how about 100??) And where is your stump pile? Oh...and how much did PB cost you?

I rest my case.

A self propelled 25 hp grinder (vermeer or rayco) can easily do 100 8" to 14" stumps a day....IF they are pine. I'd love to watch you dig 'em out and pile-em-up like that in a head-to-head competition....lol. You'd have one heckava pile....plus you'd have a mine-field to repair. Not so with the grinder! After running the loader bucket over em and a disc.....POOF!! GONE!!

I couldn't resist adding this. I rest my case.....page II.

Last edited:
   / Stump Grinder (Vermeer SC130) #10  
Have you guys ever dug out 600 stumps? (Or, how about 100??) And where is your stump pile? Oh...and how much did PB cost you?

I rest my case.

A self propelled 25 hp grinder (vermeer or rayco) can easily do 100 8" to 14" stumps a day....IF they are pine. I'd love to watch you dig 'em out and pile-em-up like that in a head-to-head competition....lol. You'd have one heckava pile....plus you'd have a mine-field to repair. Not so with the grinder! After running the loader bucket over em and a disc.....POOF!! GONE!!

I couldn't resist adding this. I rest my case.....page II.

I think your tag line sums it up foggy.

Anyway, to the OP, you may consider a backhoe or similar as then the stump is truly "out", yes, you then have to deal with the hole, but there are issues when you grind as well.

With a large track hoe, we have walked through burying the stumps, basically dig a hole beside, and roll the large stumps in and then smear the dirt back over everything.

With my stuff here I tend to pull the stumps, pile them up in a line and then cover them as I usually want a berm or what I call golf course mounds around anyway to pile them up.

If you do want your own stump grinder, I have been eying the DR, I think they are right at 2K on sale at the moment, I would need to look for the flyer and they have some length of trial run on them (I think 6 months) that may be another consideration.

I have run the tow behind units as well as the self propelled large driven units and you can certainly move through some stumps, but I have not run one of the small lawn mower sized ones, It is something no-one in our group has and we have spoke about getting one, but right now one of the guys has a tow behind (about a 60 horse Vemeer) so he just does that work for us. One of the little ones would be handy at times though

Good luck clearing, I have been playing on my new land, but the 135 or so hp Cat 953c trackavator makes 8" and under trees just jump out of the ground :D It is good to have friends with big toys:thumbsup:

Dang it is fun doing that.