Wooden plow beam for an antique plow

/ Wooden plow beam for an antique plow #1  

SARG

Platinum Member
Tractor
NH T1030- NH T1530 - 49G Brockway
Would anyone know who might fabricate a couple plow beams ( item b in the picture ) for some plows I am restoring.

( Tried Farmer Brown's & they are apparently too busy. )

/ Wooden plow beam for an antique plow #2  
I'd try some Amish woodworking mills (sawmill, blacksmith, or wagon shop) near you.

If you have a pattern, or parts to work from, any woodworker could do it.
Probably want to match the wood and condition to the handles for a good restoration.

/ Wooden plow beam for an antique plow #4  
there might be a How To in the foxfire book series. looks like a lot of draw knife work, unless you have a band saw then it shouldnt be too hard.

/ Wooden plow beam for an antique plow #5  
I have got woodworking tools and enjoy working with wood. My dad is a carpenter by trade and has made one plow beam for a plow we had years ago. I live in buffalo NY. If you can't find someone to do it, I could do it. If you are interested, you could send me a private message.
Tucker

/ Wooden plow beam for an antique plow #6  
Would anyone know who might fabricate a couple plow beams ( item b in the picture ) for some plows I am restoring.

( Tried Farmer Brown's & they are apparently too busy. )

on a woodworking scale its about a 1 chisel project.

the hardest part is going to be sourcing the right material. You likely need a hardwood like oak or better yet ash or hickory. but in 2x thickness. Your not going to find that anywhere but wood dealer or a local saw mill.

once you have the material it would take about 20 min to fab up. simple cut on the bandsaw and a few holes.

/ Wooden plow beam for an antique plow #7  
A laminated wood beam could also be made.:thumbsup:

/ Wooden plow beam for an antique plow
Well guys......... Good news for me. Went for a ride in an adjoining county known for Amish population. I had heard there was an Amish lumbermill in that area .... so we went looking.

Thanks to beenthere for the advice.

Took about an hour but finally came across the place. Spoke with a really nice lad who said they could be made up without a problem and suggested that they be made from Larch. He said they use it for fence posts and such around the farm and it holds up well. For my display usage it should be A-OK .... and if it does break down in ten years ........ I know where the mill is now.

Last edited:
Just as a follow up ........ Both of Dad's ole plows are back together and in prominent locations in the wife's landscaping...... joining the other five that were already displayed.

My new Amish friends made up the two plow beams and charged me $36. for both. I gave the lad $70 and was happy to do it. Before "Farmer Brown's" backed out of making them .... their price was $60. each.

I never found the replacement handle parts I needed but improvised to get the handles on. From twenty feet away they look fine.

Beenthere .... thanks once again for the Amish suggestion. They're fine folks.:)

A couple pictures after project completion