What is the largest ranch in the USA

/ What is the largest ranch in the USA #71  
While we are on the subject of ranches, how many people know or knew a REAL cowboy?

I can say I do/did. My dad. He worked for some ranchers in his early life and then he homesteaded in the Big Muddy Badlands and started a ranch of his own sometime in the 1920s. He passed on in 1959, just two months after my eighth birthday.

From stories I have heard he was a good horseman. His saddle horse was trained to stand where he dropped the reins...no running off allowed! He also was supposed to have a team of horses that no one but him could handle but who knows for sure? Regardless, he was a Cowboy and earned his living as one. He also participated in rodeos and used that money for a grubstake when he homesteaded. He would never ride bulls though...too risky for someone who was doing it to raise extra money. An injury, any injury, in those days could have life threatening consequences.

/ What is the largest ranch in the USA #72  
While we are on the subject of ranches, how many people know or knew a REAL cowboy?

I can say I do/did. My dad. He worked for some ranchers in his early life and then he homesteaded in the Big Muddy Badlands and started a ranch of his own sometime in the 1920s. He passed on in 1959, just two months after my eighth birthday.

From stories I have heard he was a good horseman. His saddle horse was trained to stand where he dropped the reins...no running off allowed! He also was supposed to have a team of horses that no one but him could handle but who knows for sure? Regardless, he was a Cowboy and earned his living as one. He also participated in rodeos and used that money for a grubstake when he homesteaded. He would never ride bulls though...too risky for someone who was doing it to raise extra money. An injury, any injury, in those days could have life threatening consequences.
I own/operate a (used to be cattle) ranch,we used horses to do the branding and treating and sorting till 96.We used to have a group of dedicated cattle guys that helped each other in the spring and fall doing the branding and roundup on each other place.( those where fun days for the whole familys)
Now i run bison we don't do that no more,but i know some guys that still do this line of work for a livin on a community pasture in my area.

/ What is the largest ranch in the USA #73  
I own/operate a (used to be cattle) ranch,we used horses to do the branding and treating and sorting till 96.We used to have a group of dedicated cattle guys that helped each other in the spring and fall doing the branding and roundup on each other place.( those where fun days for the whole familys)
Now i run bison we don't do that no more,but i know some guys that still do this line of work for a livin on a community pasture in my area.

Atvs and dirtbikes dont need to be groomed, shoed or cleaned up after just fed gas:D

/ What is the largest ranch in the USA #74  
Due to size of the "stations" they use helicopters in Australia. When "pastoralists" have a party there are more helis than cars on the parking lot. So I heard from a guy who grew up on a "station". Just recently there was a crisis related to export of live cattle to Indonesia which was banned by government. The issue dominated media for several weeks. I heard one guy saying in an interview that his small operation got really hurt. He was talking about 400 000 ac. What is a big operation then?

/ What is the largest ranch in the USA #75  

I've know so many that there is no way to remember them all. But will list a few and post a picture or 2. I worked on a lot of ranches, checking cattle, round ups, branding, ETC. But not a cowboy, just did what they do. Got to ride a lot of fence (maybe " had to ride fence" is a better way to say it.)

My Dad Clell Lee, My grand father ( He was still breaking & shoeing horses into his 90's. Did 2 tours of Europe with Buffalo Bill's Wild West show. In the show he rode Saddle Bronc and buffalo. Had an uncle Vince that was running a ranch north of Globe AZ, where he was killed by a mule. Sammy Foster and the whole Foster family. Sammy got Killed while branding in about 1956. And Lived to tell about it. (Funny Story). Mrs. Haley & I worked the Haley ranch and rarely needed any help. A lot more but don't want to bore everyone.

Attachments

• grandad 1970.jpg
    grandad 1970.jpg
    251.2 KB · Views: 129
  • bud clell judy.jpg
    bud clell judy.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 149
  • Bud brn mule.jpg
    Bud brn mule.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 133
  • buddy 1946.jpg
    buddy 1946.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 146
  • Clell Lee 1E.jpg
    Clell Lee 1E.jpg
    250 KB · Views: 167
  • Clell Lee 2E.jpg
    Clell Lee 2E.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 135
   / What is the largest ranch in the USA #76  
It may not be the largest in the USA,but according to the guiness book of world records the most "frequented" ranch is "The Mustang Ranch".

Boone