Ceramic Blanket for Wood stove

/ Ceramic Blanket for Wood stove #1  

coachgrd

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota BX1870
My Quadrafire 3100 step-top wood stove is in need of new ceramic blanket. If I order through the manufacturer, it will be one arm and one leg. I have though, found some rolls of the stuff online but who needs 50 feet? I'm having trouble finding anyone who sells it by the foot...do any of you know of a place that does? The one place I did find that does, refers to the blanket as "Kaowool." Is this the same as a ceramic blanket?

Obviously this is not something I can afford to do wrong but if I can an after market product that does the same thing effectively, I'm all for it.

Thanks!
Gary

/ Ceramic Blanket for Wood stove #2  
"Kaowool."

Check out the specs on Kaowool but I think it may be what you want. I've insulated one of my wifes pottery kilns with it. Firing temperatures to 2300 degrees Fahrenheit. :thumbsup:

We got ours through a Pottery supplies shop but there should be lots of other folks will have it in stock.?:)

/ Ceramic Blanket for Wood stove #3  
I've heard of it referred to as Kaowool and ceramic blanket. Also I have purchased it under both names. I have found it at any good stove shop. I live in the north central Pa boonies, so I would think you should be able to call around and find some.

I believe I purchased some from a stove shop in Warren Pa once, and this place
Sissons Chain Saws and Stoves Sisson Saws & Stoves

They may ship.....not sure.

/ Ceramic Blanket for Wood stove #4  
If you have industrie around that uses boilers, they may have some they may sell to you. It is used in their refractory to prevent burn out.

/ Ceramic Blanket for Wood stove #5  
Maple syrup guys use it also, I think you can buy it by the foot from those suppliers. I'm pretty sure there is an Ebay seller that also sell by the foot. Kaowool is the same stuff. There is 1 inch and 2 inch stuff available.

/ Ceramic Blanket for Wood stove #6  
What does a Ceramic Blanket do for a wood stove?

I went to the QuadFire site but they do not mention Ceramic Blanket on the

3100 StepTop page.

MAsteveINE

/ Ceramic Blanket for Wood stove #7  
kaowool is a soft material and breaks down when bumped, I'm not sure what part of the stove you will be wanting to use it on. I have used A LOT of it in fire boxes where exposed to very high temps but it needs to remain un bumped for the most part after several heatings it gets soft/fragile and will hold dirt well (dirt that does not burn up that is.)

There are some woven type materials as well that may be better.

Mark

/ Ceramic Blanket for Wood stove #8  
When I installed my woodstove in my finished garage I used mineral wool insulation that came in bats that were approx. 4" thick, 24" wide and 4' long. I used this in the walls around the stove and in & around the stovepipe thimble going thru the wall to my exterior chimney. This insulation was supposed to be rated at 1200 degrees - TVA used it for insulation in some of their boilers - this was given to me so I don't know where exactly to purchase it. It is very similar to typical fiberglas insulation but feels a little different and is a little heavier/denser, and of course doesn't have any Kraft paper on it !! I would assume it would hold up to the heat of a woodstove in direct contact with it.

/ Ceramic Blanket for Wood stove #9  
At the top of this "page" was a Google posting for Ceramic Fiber Blanket at this link..

Welcome to ceramicfiberonline.com

Is it what you are looking for?

Some responses here remind me of a fiber combustion chamber I used to have to put in my fuel oil boiler. It would unfold wet, then dry when fired up. It became rigid but very brittle. Touch it and it would crumble. Sucked it out with vacuum when time to clean the boiler combustion chamber. What a mess it was.

/ Ceramic Blanket for Wood stove #10  
The blanket is usually placed above the baffle board of a modern non-catalytic EPA stove. The blanket adds insulative value to the baffle and holds even more heat in the firebox where it can burn hotter and burn up more of the smoke. I purposely avoid stoves that use the blankets and instead use a stove with a board made of ceramic material. It's tougher than a blanket but still can be broken.

Our local hardware store sells it by the foot off of a roll.