cattle corral ideas?

/ cattle corral ideas? #1  

bdw593

Bronze Member
Tractor
Mahindra 6025
Anyone have a simple design for a cattle corral?
Would like two holding pens that one could sort cattle into, with a chute leading to the head gate, and a simple loading chute.

I have a small cattle operation and all the designs I found on the net are for 50-100 head operations, which lead to substantial costs.

I would like a simple design that I could use to sort calves, and preform basic mantiance of the cattle.

All thoughts and ideas will be welcomed.

Thanks in advance.

/ cattle corral ideas? #2  
We had a simple one when I was growing up on the farm built out of 2x8 rough cut with RR ties for posts. It was a rectangular shape and had the loading chute and squeeze chute inside. think of a double fence (maybe 3 feet wide) down the middle of the rectangle running about 2/3s across the long way. I attached a sketch.

The double fence in the middle allowed us to work with a group from the upper working group and turn them loose into the bottom after they went through the squeeze chute for shots, dehorning. We branded and castrated in the small pen in the middle. the double fence also allowed us to use the loading ramp.

Perhaps some ideas will come from this that will work for you.

Attachments

• corral.JPG
    corral.JPG
    24.4 KB · Views: 9,819
   / cattle corral ideas?
Do you remember what the rough dementions of the corral was?. How far apart were the posts?

/ cattle corral ideas? #4  
Just a guess, but overall probably 40x60? I think the posts were about 8 ft apart, maybe 10'. My brother still lives near there. He might be able to measure it a bit, but he is working shift work and doubles... I haven't heard from him for awhile.

Edit: I did a google maps and it appears to be 50x100 or so. We had about 200 head when Pa passed and the herd was sold. I think we started with 25 head or so and build the herd over the years. You can certainly downsize it to meet your needs.

Last edited:
   / cattle corral ideas? #5  
I have a small cattle operation myself (8) with a small holding pen. The posts are railroad ties and the rails are rail guard like you see on the side of the highway. Works great. Still have to build a chute in there but I haven't decided how to do that yet. Good luck with yours. :)7

/ cattle corral ideas? #6  
Here is a rough drawing of my corral. We use it for 30-40 cattle. It is approx 125' x 50'. Makes for very easy loading/unloading cattle.

attachment.php

Attachments

• corral.png
    corral.png
    19.7 KB · Views: 7,402