How to defrost a freezer quickly

/ How to defrost a freezer quickly #1  

Pilot

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 770, Yanmar 180D, JD 420 (not running), had a Kubota B6200
While defrosting our freezer today, it occurred to me that many folks probably still use the hot water in the pot method. There is a faster, easier way that I have been doing for several years.

Once all the food is removed, set up a fan outside the freezer and blow room air into it. I used a box fan sitting on a stool to get it up high, where the frost is thickest.

Today the temp in the garage where we have our freezer was about 70 degrees. The 18 cu. ft. freezer had about 1.5 inches of ice in places on the top shelf and a little thicker on the underside of the top of the freezer, the thickest areas. From the time I set the fan until all the ice was melted took about 35 minutes. I started with the fan sitting about 16 inches off the floor, but most of the air went into the bottom. About half way thru the job I put it on a stool where it would blow closer to the thickest ice.

Of course it would have defrosted faster on a warmer day.

The faster you get the ice out of there, the sooner you can put the food back in and the less the chance of the food defrosting.

/ How to defrost a freezer quickly #2  
Just buy a 'Frost Free"

/ How to defrost a freezer quickly #3  
While defrosting our freezer today, it occurred to me that many folks probably still use the hot water in the pot method. There is a faster, easier way that I have been doing for several years.

Once all the food is removed, set up a fan outside the freezer and blow room air into it. I used a box fan sitting on a stool to get it up high, where the frost is thickest.

Today the temp in the garage where we have our freezer was about 70 degrees. The 18 cu. ft. freezer had about 1.5 inches of ice in places on the top shelf and a little thicker on the underside of the top of the freezer, the thickest areas. From the time I set the fan until all the ice was melted took about 35 minutes. I started with the fan sitting about 16 inches off the floor, but most of the air went into the bottom. About half way thru the job I put it on a stool where it would blow closer to the thickest ice.

The faster you get the ice out of there, the sooner you can put the food back in and the less the chance of the food defrosting.

You may laugh, and the safety police will probably have something to say, but I stick a hair dryer in mine to defrost it every couple of years or so.

Middle of summer works good too!

/ How to defrost a freezer quickly #4  
I just defrosted one at work last month. Somebody left the door open a crack and it filled the entire freezer solid with ice including freezing the door in place. I took one of those shark hand steamers to it and had it completely defrosted in 2 hours. :)7

/ How to defrost a freezer quickly #6  

That's the same way I do our upright freezer every few years. I get to do it again next weekend. I just bought a chest freezer to replace our upright. I have hated the upright since the first time a gallon of ice cream fell out and smashed my foot! :laughing:

/ How to defrost a freezer quickly #7  
on older freezers, its the ice you cant see thats important. behind the insulation and the back wall. So if i have the time I use heat guns for the inside, then let it set for another few hours until everything is done dripping..

/ How to defrost a freezer quickly #8  
You may laugh, and the safety police will probably have something to say, but I stick a hair dryer in mine to defrost it every couple of years or so.
Be careful to keep the heat off the outside walls... Too much heat on one spot can do some funky things to the foam insulation...

/ How to defrost a freezer quickly #9  
I have a 18 or 19 cu ft chest freezer in my garage. When we bought it, I looked for a frost free chest freezer, but could not find one. Frost free is pretty rare in chest freezers. It seems that since the cold air stays in the box even when the door is opened, they frost mostly in a 6" to 10" band around the top shelf where warmer air penetrates when you open the freezer. keeping a tight seal and opening the door as few times as possible seems to be the best practice. We've had our chest freezer for over three years and never had to defrost it. It has minimum buildup around the top, but all the baskets still lift in and out just fine. I really like chest freezers.:thumbsup:

/ How to defrost a freezer quickly #10  
A 'tight seal" is the key. Just ask a walrus.. :laughing::laughing::laughing: