Flooring Nailer

/ Flooring Nailer #1  

ElDorado

Silver Member
Tractor
Kioti DK35
Being as you all seem to have answers to all of lives challenges and I do not know where else to ask here goes:

I am thinking of adding a pneumatic floor nailer to my tool crib. I found one on amazon that looks like a Bostich MIIIFS by a company called Akuzuki. So here is my question, is it chinese junk that I should run from or does Bostich out source to this company?

Any info on flooring nailers is appreciated

/ Flooring Nailer #2  
I have not used it yet, but recently bought a Porter Cable FN200 flooring nailer. It uses L cleats instead of staples or straight nails, supposed to have holding power of staples but allow the expansion/contraction of the hardwood floor. Local power tool store was within a few dollars of online, gave me 10% off on 10,000 nails. I have several of the Porter Cable nailers and like them.

/ Flooring Nailer #3  
I have a Chinese copy of the Bostich. It hasn't been used particularly hard - I've hardwood floored our main house (2200 sq ft), our guest cottage (1600 sq ft), and my office (650 sq ft) which the nailer has handled without problem or incident.

/ Flooring Nailer
Hey guys thanks for the responses. Since posting I found a reconditioned one at cpobostitch.com for about the same price as the chinese take off. I have bought reconditioned before and have yet to be burned so I'll probably go that route. That is unless someone posts a compelling reason to buy another brand or not go reconditioned. I knew you guys had the answer.

Thanks again.

/ Flooring Nailer #5  
I would go with the Bostitch if for no other reason than availability of repair parts. Flooring nailer/staplers tend to need rebuilding more often than other pneumatic tools.

MarkV

/ Flooring Nailer #6  
Used Harbor Freights $120 nailer for 900 sqft of hickory- flawless. Saw similiar experiences on net before purchaing. Did NOT use their nails on advice of other users.

/ Flooring Nailer #8  
Do yall reccomend using cleats or staples , im fixing to put in 3/4 redoak in my house in a room im redoing. Part of the subfloor is 1x wood gum/poplar and the other is plywood subfloor. I have staples and think im going to use them. I bought my HF nailer on sale for about $80.

/ Flooring Nailer
clemsonfor - what I was reading on the web says that staples do not allow for as much expansion and contraction of the wood as nails/cleats do. This maybe a lot of bunk, I do not know ( no experience yet therefore the question ). It seems to make sense to me.

I know from removing flooring that was nailed/cleated that they hold very well and once removed de-nailing was impossible. The whole batch wound up in the burn pile.

Any pros out there that have any comments??

/ Flooring Nailer #10  
just curious...unless you are a flooring or gen. contractor why would you not just rent a nailer for an installation?

And if you are a contractor why not buy a name brand commercial gun ?