Best time of year to plow?

/ Best time of year to plow? #1  

Chilly807

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L3400DT
We're planning on putting in a vegetable garden at our new home next spring. There's never been a garden there to the best of my knowledge, so the ground is "virginal" as far as plowing is concerned.

I don't have a 3-point tiller and have no plans for one in the next few years. I do have a double bottom plow and will probably either try to find a disc harrow or rent a walk-behind tiller in the spring.

My question is, am I further ahead to turn the soil this fall after the growing season is finished and leave the sods to rot over the winter, or simply plow in the spring a few weeks before I'm ready to plant?

It would seem to me I'm better off to plow in the fall, but there may be something I'm missing.

Your thoughts?

Sean

/ Best time of year to plow? #2  
Plow the existing crop under in the fall. Run a heavy drag over it to seal it until early spring, then begin with your disc harrow or tiller. This will give what top growth you have a chance to decompose back into the soil and the ground laying in the rough through winter will catch and hold more snow and rain for the spring/summer crops. Ken Sweet

/ Best time of year to plow? #3  
I would add a pass with roundup before plowing this fall, if things are still growing. It will cut back on your weeds next year. We started our vegetable garden with a plowing in the spring and it was definitely a mistake. :ashamed:

-rus-

/ Best time of year to plow? #4  
Plow the existing crop under in the fall. Run a heavy drag over it to seal it until early spring, then begin with your disc harrow or tiller. This will give what top growth you have a chance to decompose back into the soil and the ground laying in the rough through winter will catch and hold more snow and rain for the spring/summer crops. Ken Sweet

I would add a pass with roundup before plowing this fall, if things are still growing. It will cut back on your weeds next year. We started our vegetable garden with a plowing in the spring and it was definitely a mistake. :ashamed:

-rus-

Yep, I agree with both (although I have not had much luck with roundup in the fall when things are not growing as fast)...

/ Best time of year to plow? #5  
Absolutely plow in fall. The degradation will end soon, due to cold ground temps. Bio action really slows down. You want to do it yesterday.:laughing:

Get it done.

/ Best time of year to plow? #6  
There is the sequence on "virgin" sod plowed last fall, to garden this spring. It works!! It's fun. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

/ Best time of year to plow? #7  
I agree now,also spread manurer ..or when ground frozen so when thawing starts manurer will filter in.

/ Best time of year to plow? #8  
Plow now but skip the round up since with a good job of plowing it will be unnecessary. I would also leave it as rough as possible.

/ Best time of year to plow? #9  
I agree now,also spread manurer ..or when ground frozen so when thawing starts manurer will filter in.

Totally agree. If you are going to use manure, on the rawer side, you really should put it on now. Raw manure too close to planting isn't a good thing.

/ Best time of year to plow? #10  
Plow now, as Duffster says. The frost/thaw cycles will break down clay like nothing else can. Plowed ground will warm much faster in spring too!