Where do you keep your firewood?

/ Where do you keep your firewood? #1  

irwin

Veteran Member
Tractor
2004 Kubota L35TLB, '89' Cub Cadet 1541
Been thinking about building a woodshed.

The problem is I'm already close to max with the other necesary jobs that have to be done... and I work 5 days, so it's only 2 days a week to do it all in... Sometimes I force myself to do more than the necessary after work chores, but at my age (mid-fifties) 10-11 hours of work in one day pretty much does me in..:D

I hoping to get some very inexpensive, easy-to-do ideas, something that'll hold 6-9 cords. I have more cut, but I like to leave it outside in the sun and elements for at least the first 4 or 5 months.

/ Where do you keep your firewood? #2  
Irwin.......What are you trying to protect it from? I suppose the snow situation is vastly different there than here in N.W. Ga. Can't imagine having to go out and clean off feet or inches of snow to get to my wood. Here, I just the other day went out and covered my supply with several tarps. NO, I dont let it cover the sides, just over the top and down perhaps a foot or so on the edges. The wood needs to breathe still and if I cover the sides it actually gains moisture it seems..........

Anyway, had my first fires last week as the night time temps were down in the lower 40's. Just about ran us out on Wednesday night as it was in the 50's and my new Harman top loader puts out so much more heat than the ol Waterford Ashling.......At least it was one way of getting my wife "hot" that night........God bless......Dennis

/ Where do you keep your firewood? #3  
Weather here is 90% from the SW. On the NE side of my pole barn I built a 12' x 30' wing, closed the ends, put vents in the ends, divided it into 5 sections and used upright 1x6 oak to build partitions that create those 5 sections...leaving spaces between the upright 1x6s for circulation. Wood dries fairly well in this wing, and stays dry....I use pallets on the ground to stack it. It is convenient to get into as the whole face is open. Wing roof does have app. 18" overhang which helps protect it, and is only 7' high at the edge.....just enough to comfortably walk under the 2x10 runner that is on the poles. App. 8-1/2' high at the rear. I use one bay for lawn stuff, and get app. 2.5-3 cords in each of the other 4 bays.

/ Where do you keep your firewood? #4  
I have a 6'x12' garden shed. It's on a stone foundation. On the back side (the wide side) I poured footings and built a platform and then extended the rake end of the roof by about 4'. The shed looks like a salt box now. Works fine.

A neighbor recently had somone in to build a wood shed. It's a free standing platform with a gable roof above. Looks great.

Keeping the firewood clear of ice and snow is a big plus IMO.

/ Where do you keep your firewood? #5  
There's thread couple weeks back on this topic,lot great ideas w/pics.

"but at my age (mid-fifties) 10-11 hours of work in one day pretty much does me in.."

I hear that,gotta start pacing yourself. ;)

/ Where do you keep your firewood? #6  
For years I piled it on skids and put old tin sheets on top. It was fine.

I know have a woodshed, it cost about $200 because I used salvage tin. Took about a day and a half to build. It's been up probably 10 years almost now and is just like new. The good part is when it's only part full of wood, I can put other stuff in it.

Attachments

• woodshed.jpg
    woodshed.jpg
    224.9 KB · Views: 425
   / Where do you keep your firewood? #7  
If you are short on time now just stack it on pellets and cover the top with something that keeps the water off. Be sure to do this some place where you don't want to build a shed. If you happen to have a free day (I know they are tough to come by) then you can start working on it. If you do build a shed I would suggest to add another 5-6 feet (width or length) more then you need. That will be useful space to store related tools or to work out of the elements

I have enough space under my garage for 8 cords but I only need about half of that each year. So. I stack 4 cords on one side and as the time approaches - right about this time - I start cutting wood to fill up the other side. The extra space for my setup is in the middle so I can stack wood even is we have a snow or a rain storm. This way by the end of March I have the firewood all cut and split for the next Winter.

/ Where do you keep your firewood? #8  
There is always one course of action, don't do anything. I assume you just stakc it up outside in the open. That has worked for me for years. I know it's not ideal, but it gets exposed to the sun and dries out well. You just have to put up with some snow on it and the fact it get wet at times.

/ Where do you keep your firewood? #9  
I handle the wood once from the splitter directly onto pallets. Fork lift the pallets to storage/drying area stacked two high. Add a used-rubber roofing sheet to the top to shed water and melting snow.

After two years, fork-lift the pallets from the storage/drying area into the garage where it goes into the woodburner. Anything to cut down on the multiple times handling a piece of wood (used to be I'd recognize some of the pieces when throwing them into the burner, and thought that was just too many times picking it up). :D

/ Where do you keep your firewood? #10  
(used to be I'd recognize some of the pieces when throwing them into the burner, and thought that was just too many times picking it up). :D

That sounds all to familiar but I still have to handle each piece of wood about three times.