Tube gate - 2x8' or 1x16'?

/ Tube gate - 2x8' or 1x16'? #1  

RobA

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota L5030 HST
I was going to install a tube gate at the entrance of my driveway which is about 16 feet wide. Would you use 2-8 foot sections or 1-16 foot section?

/ Tube gate - 2x8' or 1x16'? #2  
I was going to install a tube gate at the entrance of my driveway which is about 16 feet wide. Would you use 2-8 foot sections or 1-16 foot section?

Trying to close two gates at the same time when it's snowing, wind blowing 30 MPH, and the wind chill -25 degrees has always leaned me towards one gate.

/ Tube gate - 2x8' or 1x16'? #3  
Trying to close two gates at the same time when it's snowing, wind blowing 30 MPH, and the wind chill -25 degrees has always leaned me towards one gate.

I have 2 10' gates, and only open one for normal car traffic.

/ Tube gate - 2x8' or 1x16'? #4  
Hard to keep a 16' from sagging, I think. We've got 2 8' at the entrance to our pasture, just swing one and grab the other one, then latch them together. No problem.

/ Tube gate - 2x8' or 1x16'? #5  
If you really need 16', then I would go with one side big enough for normal vehicle traffic and anchor the other one with a concrete block or something. I wouldn't want to hassle with two gates every time I went in and out.

Ken

/ Tube gate - 2x8' or 1x16'? #6  
Is the area where the gate is going level? If not, a 16' may be a problem.

We have 2x 10 footers as I can't use a 20 foot due to non level ground. We just open one at a time and leave the other one shut. If you use one gate, it's going to have to be well anchored so it does not sag as mentioned.

/ Tube gate - 2x8' or 1x16'? #7  
On our largest set of chainlink gates ( about 26') ...I put a trailer jack with the wheel on the one side that I usually leave stationary to help prevent the "sag" factor.

/ Tube gate - 2x8' or 1x16'?
The site is level.

I didn't mention that the gate will be temporary - maybe for a year or 2. The driveway is at our property where we will be building a new house. Once the house is done we will probably change the entrance. Right now I'm only at the site on weekends so constant opening and closing is not an issue for me.

As for sag - if I used a 16' gate I could install a support for the closed gate and open gate to help prevent sagging. I would rather not use gate wheels if I used 8' gates.

/ Tube gate - 2x8' or 1x16'? #9  
I would use a 16 footer with a wheel if it's level (Note: Some tube gates are really light so if you use one of those you may not need a wheel and could add it later if necessary. I think supports are a good idea too.