"Farming" suggestions for 20+ acres

/ "Farming" suggestions for 20+ acres
Have already contacted our local county extension.

What you have to understand about this guy is he is WEALTHY (he owns podiatry medical centers). He's not gonna go for pumpkin patches, alpaca, etc. He wants something to make his property look classy, beautiful, like a painting. He can't do any type of intense farming or livestock.

I was thinking hay, alfalfa, soybeans. Something where his property will have a nice, neat appearance and won't create the need for excessive equipment or strangers on his land.

/ "Farming" suggestions for 20+ acres #12  
Then go with hay and/or legume rotation. Fairly easy to do, and will make a nice contacts with others, as mentioned above.

Rich people looking for hay bales for their daughters jumping horse may need their property mowed too!!

Do you have access to a mower or baler? Can your current tractor pull them?

-Jer.

/ "Farming" suggestions for 20+ acres
Then go with hay and/or legume rotation. Fairly easy to do, and will make a nice contacts with others, as mentioned above.

Rich people looking for hay bales for their daughters jumping horse may need their property mowed too!!

Do you have access to a mower or baler? Can your current tractor pull them?

-Jer.

Sure current tractor in my sig below can easily handle mowco, baler, etc.

UGH, funny (sad really) you asked that. I just passed on a nearly mint John Deere 916 Mowco. I'm sure I could pick up the necessary equipment, but funds are low right now.

Already have JD MX-8 semi mount mower, but would have to buy hay equipment.

/ "Farming" suggestions for 20+ acres #14  
I know the perfect crop. It was a crop I was actually thinking about planting before I enrolled in the crp program. It would be planting trees that are inoculated with truffles.
You need a field type area, you plant the trees and the truffle will eventually take over the area producting truffles. One you can space the trees and give the property the look/asthetic that he wants. Two if you plant nut trees you can harvest them also.
I just went another route, otherwise i would have them in the ground.

New World Truffieres-Order/Availability
Garland Truffles - Truffle Cultivation - Home

/ "Farming" suggestions for 20+ acres #15  
I know the perfect crop. It was a crop I was actually thinking about planting before I enrolled in the crp program. It would be planting trees that are inoculated with truffles.
You need a field type area, you plant the trees and the truffle will eventually take over the area producting truffles. One you can space the trees and give the property the look/asthetic that he wants. Two if you plant nut trees you can harvest them also.
I just went another route, otherwise i would have them in the ground.

New World Truffieres-Order/Availability
Garland Truffles - Truffle Cultivation - Home

Truffles only grow in certain climates. If I recall correctly, it has to be areas without severe winters.

/ "Farming" suggestions for 20+ acres #16  
Have already contacted our local county extension.

What you have to understand about this guy is he is WEALTHY (he owns podiatry medical centers). He's not gonna go for pumpkin patches, alpaca, etc. He wants something to make his property look classy, beautiful, like a painting. He can't do any type of intense farming or livestock.

I was thinking hay, alfalfa, soybeans. Something where his property will have a nice, neat appearance and won't create the need for excessive equipment or strangers on his land.

Soybeans might work. The gross for 20 acres, average for Ohio is 48 bushels/acre, and current price is $11.54/bushel would be $11078. To get you profits seed, fuel, fertizer, spraying and custom harvesting would have to subracted.

The extension agent should be able to help with local yields and prices to see if it makes economic sense. Another thing to calculate for the land owner is the reduction in property taxes. I have around 11 acres in ag on 2 different parcels that saves me roughly $1800/year. If I convert them back into building lots I will have to pay the tax savings back.

Let us know what you decide as I am considering converting a few more acres, and moving away from grass hay on my ag. parcels.

/ "Farming" suggestions for 20+ acres #17  
I was in contact with the seller from nc, they will survive in zone 5 weather.

/ "Farming" suggestions for 20+ acres #18  
Is "Builder" in zone 5?

/ "Farming" suggestions for 20+ acres #19  
I was in contact with the seller from nc, they will survive in zone 5 weather.

I do not know of anything bad or good about the seller but he has been covered by the local news media several times over the years. I am pretty sure I saw a story about him back in the 90s.

He has been working on the the truffles for a very long time.

Later,
Dan