"Farming" suggestions for 20+ acres

/ "Farming" suggestions for 20+ acres #1  

Builder

East PA or 750 mi. east of a short man named Dar__
Tractor
Kubota, AGCO, New Holland LB
I have a wealthy but cost concious customer. He has 20 acres of what I would call combined flat & rolling land consisting of weeds & grass on the sides & back of his property. I currenty cut this land at about $1,500/cut 3 times per year.

Because of significant tax savings offered in PA, he would like to put it into some kind of agricultural useage. If he does, I will lose a valuable cutting customer. I am tossing around the idea of farming this property for him. He is also game for suggestions.

I have no idea (other than hay) what to plant that is relatively easy to grow off of it. I'm not a professional farmer, but am a rural boy with common sense and the ability to learn. Last I checked, the requirement in PA for act 319/515 tax exemption was a mere $1,600 profit shown as a receipt in agricultural profit.

Any suggestions as to what I can offer him? I'd really prefer not to refer him to other local farmers because I can't afford to lose any customers, but I also want to be responsible with his land. I'm looking at this as an opportunity to possibly learn a new trade.

/ "Farming" suggestions for 20+ acres #2  
Start with the local county extension agent. They can help you determine which crops are suited to the soil type, the amount of yield you can expect from the chosen crop, the best practices for producing that crop and a history of the prices associated with producing that crop. On top of that, their services are free! :thumbsup:

Good luck on your new adventure. :)

/ "Farming" suggestions for 20+ acres #3  
Mossroad gave you a wonderful suggestion. They're certainly in a great position to take a lot of the guess-work out for you.

/ "Farming" suggestions for 20+ acres #4  
Take a while but christmas tree farm, or a u pick orchard like blueberrys might do well.
If its a yearly crop I would look at a speciality market. Then again he might be able to crep it and get a gov check for the next 15 years.

/ "Farming" suggestions for 20+ acres #5  
I have a wealthy but cost concious customer. He has 20 acres of what I would call combined flat & rolling land consisting of weeds & grass on the sides & back of his property. I currenty cut this land at about $1,500/cut 3 times per year.

Because of significant tax savings offered in PA, he would like to put it into some kind of agricultural useage. If he does, I will lose a valuable cutting customer. I am tossing around the idea of farming this property for him. He is also game for suggestions.

I have no idea (other than hay) what to plant that is relatively easy to grow off of it. I'm not a professional farmer, but am a rural boy with common sense and the ability to learn. Last I checked, the requirement in PA for act 319/515 tax exemption was a mere $1,600 profit shown as a receipt in agricultural profit.

Any suggestions as to what I can offer him? I'd really prefer not to refer him to other local farmers because I can't afford to lose any customers, but I also want to be responsible with his land. I'm looking at this as an opportunity to possibly learn a new trade.

Builder,

In ohio, at least locally we do not have to show income if we own than 10 acres. I would be concerned about reaching the at least $1600 "profit" mark on 20 acres. They do check here, that the land is being farmed. Last year I got a letter because the neighbor that cuts my ag. land for hay was running late. They also send a letter once a year that has to be signed to maintain the agricultural status.

Pumpkins might be an option.

I second talking to the local soil and water guys also.

/ "Farming" suggestions for 20+ acres #6  
Hay is also the choice here in Ohio. The county came up with the idea of making you have ten acres or more to build on. This was suppose to cut down on so many farms becoming subdivisons. Little did they know it would creat ten houses using 100+ acres. Square bales for horses bring in the most money. Hard to find help baling, but once established a hay field makes a nice back yard.

/ "Farming" suggestions for 20+ acres #7  
My uncle here in PA has a neighbor that "hays" their grass once a year and gets the credit.

/ "Farming" suggestions for 20+ acres #8  
The Extension Service can be helpful. If you have an association of local farmers, they may be more in touch with realistic markets. Ten fenced in acres would make a really nice deer farm.

Any biomass boilers in your area? some are experimenting with growing willow, on a 3 year rotation. Have fun.

/ "Farming" suggestions for 20+ acres #9  
Great suggestions.
If you don't do hay, maybe if an orchard or something, you'd still be needed to mow periodically.
Here you can get the break for pasture, either your own animals or someone elses.

/ "Farming" suggestions for 20+ acres #10  
I'd go with hay also, horse owners are always looking for good supplier, could lead to more primary business contacts.