Venison Vs Beef Controversy Ended

/ Venison Vs Beef Controversy Ended #1  

SkyPup

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L-39 GST TLB, Kubota L3130GST, Massey 1030 HST, Kubota ZD-21 ProDecK, Two Euro VW TDIs
Venison vs. Beef: The controversy ends

From the U.S. Venison Council

Controversy has long raged about the relative quality and taste of venison and beef as gourmet foods. Some people say venison is tough, with a strong "wild" taste. Others insist venison's flavor is delicate. An independent food research group was retained by the Venison Council to conduct a taste test to determine the truth of these conflicting assertions once and for all.

First, a Grade A Choice Holstein steer was chased into a swamp a mile and a half from a road and shot several times. After some of the entrails were removed, the carcass was dragged back over rocks and logs, and through mud and dust to the road. It was then thrown into the back of a pickup truck and driven through rain and snow for 100 miles before being hung out in the sun for a day.

It was then lugged into a garage where it was skinned and rolled around on the floor for a while. Strict sanitary precautions were observed throughout the test, within the limitations of the butchering environment. For instance, dogs and cats were allowed to sniff and lick the steer carcass, but most of the time were chased away when they attempted to bite chunks out of it.

Next, a sheet of plywood left from last year's butchering was set up in the basement on two saw horses. The pieces of dried blood, hair and fat left from last year were scraped off with a wire brush last used to clean out the grass stuck under the lawn mower.

The skinned carcass was then dragged down the steps into the basement where a half dozen inexperienced but enthusiastic and intoxicated men worked on it with meat saws, cleavers, hammers and dull knives. The result was 375 pounds of soup bones, four bushel baskets of meat scraps, and a couple of steaks that were an eighth of an inch thick on one edge and an inch and a half thick on the other edge.

The steaks were seared on a glowing red hot cast iron skillet to lock in the flavor. When the smoke cleared, rancid bacon grease was added, along with three pounds of onions, and the whole conglomeration was fried for two hours.

The meat was gently teased from the frying pan and served to three intoxicated and blindfolded taste panel volunteers. Every member of the panel thought it was venison. One volunteer even said it tasted exactly like the venison he has eaten in hunting camps for the past 27 years.

The results of this scientific test conclusively show that there is no difference between the taste of beef and venison... :D

/ Venison Vs Beef Controversy Ended #2  
You gotta love science and the lengths they can go to prove a point :thumbsup: :D :laughing:

/ Venison Vs Beef Controversy Ended
The Venison Council does not mess around when they go steer hunting..... :D

/ Venison Vs Beef Controversy Ended #4  
Hilarious. This profile sounds like it could describe many similar things done by many.

I had four roommates years ago who fielded a call from a girlfriend who worked at local bar. Around 8pm, a man had come in and saying he had some venison that he didn't plan to use and wanted to know if anyone could use it. My roommates jumped in a truck and drove up for some free meat.

Long story short, it was road kill. They brought it home, butchered it in one of the showers, made a stew, and by 6am they were eating. By 4pm, all were sick as dogs, and by the end of the week, all had lost 20-30 pounds from being ill. They were lucky that it wasn't fatal or they didn't get sicker.

Punchline ... they didn't clean the shower for 4 months even though one of them used the shower daily. :shocked:

/ Venison Vs Beef Controversy Ended #5  
Marvelous!!! Describes exactly the slaughter and butcher techniques I've personally observed used by the professional hunters that pay good money to be allowed to discharge a firearm on the ranch. Such attention to replicating this procedure in exacting scientific detail is to be commended. :thumbsup:

/ Venison Vs Beef Controversy Ended #6  
I owned Meat Markets for 30 years, I have cut-up 100s of them, most people have no idea how to drees them they used to come in with hair all over them best thing to do when that happens is throw it in the fat barrel and forget it.
For the most part I have not seen many that were worth cutting up.
Quality is very low, but if you add fat and grind it all except maybe the loin its not that bad, or Jerky works.

/ Venison Vs Beef Controversy Ended #7  
Thats a pretty good representation of what happens most of the time. Id like to clarify that we personally take much greater care. lol Of course the older I get the more I lean towards taking it in to the butcher.

/ Venison Vs Beef Controversy Ended #8  
I never tasted beef until we got into the school lunch program. It came in these big silver cans with USDA commodity all over it. We could'nt wait for deer season, so we cold eat some real meat.

/ Venison Vs Beef Controversy Ended #9  
I owned Meat Markets for 30 years, I have cut-up 100s of them, most people have no idea how to drees them they used to come in with hair all over them best thing to do when that happens is throw it in the fat barrel and forget it.
For the most part I have not seen many that were worth cutting up.
Quality is very low, but if you add fat and grind it all except maybe the loin its not that bad, or Jerky works.

You are exactly right...When I shot my first Deer years ago I had it butchered and the roasts etc..we just OK but we loved the ground meat...So from then on I always skinned and dressed my own and other than the tenderloin inside and out ( backstrap) I ground all the rest and added beef fat to get about an 85-15 mix and it has always been great as Deer Burger and Meatloaf.

/ Venison Vs Beef Controversy Ended #10  
Only way to kill a deer is shoot it in the head, second choice, neck. Most always killing it instantly, (I can't watch shows where they shoot deer in the heart when they are practically on top of them?) then field dress them soon as possible. I once had a heart in my hand that was still beating! 6mm