VHF Gain Antenna

/ VHF Gain Antenna #1  

txdon

Super Star Member
Tractor
JD 3032E
I am receiving an excellent signal from all of the HD TV UHF stations 18 through 54 over the air. FOX-7 is a VHF station and I am not getting a signal. (I received it perfectly before it switched to HD.)
I contacted FOX-7 and they said I need an antenna gain for VHF. Has anyone had a good experience with an antenna with a gain for VHF.

(I live about 50 miles East of Austin TX)
Thanks!

/ VHF Gain Antenna #2  
A large Channel Master style antenna works good to receive VHF. A good amplifier between the antenna and the receiver may also help. By the way, there's nothing different about an "HD" antenna. It's still receiving the same frequencies.

Pick up FREE Digital TV with Channel Master digital HDTV Antenna CM-3671 for the best TV antenna reception, this is a UHF VHF antenna which is good for weak to strong signal strength areas. This is our longest range tv antenna

http://www.amazon.com/Channel-Maste...iewpoints=1&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

/ VHF Gain Antenna #3  
I have large Channel Master antenna - it has the big elements for VHF and the small "yagi" V up front for UHF. Seems that most digital channels are broadcast on UHF but some are not. One example is channel 8 Dallas - I'm pretty sure it is VHF. The antenna is on top of a 50 foot tower and there is also an amplifier mounted on the antenna itself. I have a rotor to tweak the aim when necessary. Channel 8 was my worst channel (pixelated quite a bit) until they switched over the strictly digital - at that point it cleared up.

Even though my antenna looks more life a VHF than a UHF antenna it is doing a great job picking up the signal about 75 miles from those broadcast towers south of Dallas (I am north). If it was me I'd get an antenna that does a better job on VHF figuring it will do just fine for the UHF channels. And you do need an amplifier unless you are pretty close.

/ VHF Gain Antenna
No luck with re-scaning the channels or manually putting in 7, 7-1 etc.. Thanks for the antenna info.

/ VHF Gain Antenna #5  
Check out Antennas Direct. I used them a couple of years ago when the changeover was in progress. Here in the Denver area they had temporary broadcast sites downtown while they built out the "mountain" site. Signals were a mess. Called Antennas Direct and they were very helpful in sorting out the equipment needed.

Jack

/ VHF Gain Antenna #6  
In many areas, stations have moved their frequencies (actual channels) around the time of the change to digital. Most of my available networks moved up to the UHF band which is excellent since they are easier to recieve. Some stinkers have either moved or stayed in the high VHF band where you need a big goofy antenna to receive them. You can easily make a UHF antenna but the VHF guys are herkin big.

Some stations just quit broadcasting from a tower and moved to another tower.

/ VHF Gain Antenna #7  
I am 60 miles north of Buffalo New York and am going through the change to digital. That means Canada, we are slated for the summer of 2011. I am preparing to pickup this week 24 feet more tower to increase my height to 64 feet. The digital converters have only been on the shelves for 10 months.
Craig Clayton

/ VHF Gain Antenna
I now have an indoor new HD RCA UHF VHF antenna (11"X11" square). Fox7 emailed back and said:
"Hello Sir,
Thanks again for your interest in FOX Programming. I would be happy to work with you and try to resolve your reception issues. I have tested a few of the antennas on the market and have found the Winegard GS1100 to be very reliable at VHF Frequencies. Judging from your distance I would also recommend at least 30 feet of antenna height."

/ VHF Gain Antenna #9  
VHF band where you need a big goofy antenna to receive them. You can easily make a UHF antenna but the VHF guys are herkin big

Wow, I wonder what he would think of my HF beam?:):)

I guess it is all relative;)
James K0UA

/ VHF Gain Antenna #10  
I chose a CS2 [clear stream 2] UHF antenna for my cabin thinking I was gonna be high enough to reach the stations 35 miles to the west. Wrong! I should have gotten the CS4 which is similar to the one in the thumbnail above. I had to reach out 75 miles to the south. Amazing enough I am getting 7 channels depending on the amount of leaves on the trees and the wind. Daytime reception is spotty on some of them.

The bad part is I believed the UHF antenna hype about VHF 7 - 13 coming in on the UHF; well one of the major networks went back to VHF 6 and I can't get it. The major on channel 3 is really now using a UHF frequency and I get it when all the leaves are down.

They guys will be disaponted over no Monday night football as we don't get ABC at all and FOX only at night whenthe weather cooperates.